Research Bioinformatician III
West Hollywood, California
Cedars-Sinai is a hub for biomedical research and a training center for future physicians and other healthcare professionals. By joining us in an academic role, you’ll be a part of formulating future ideas for discovery and then translating those discoveries into cures for the benefit and health of the Los Angeles community.
- Full-time & Per-Diem
- Level: Mid to Senior
- Travel: Minimal (if any)
- Glassdoor Reviews and Company Rating
What makes a successful Research Bioinformatician III at Cedars-Sinai? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
Discovery is central to Cedars-Sinai’s mission. Our laboratories and clinics generate ideas, therapies, devices, and systems that contribute to biomedical progress around the world. Cedars-Sinai’s investigators push the frontiers of biomedicine with studies in cardiac care, cancer, digestive health, the neurosciences, women’s health, and more. Cedars-Sinai’s robust academic enterprise shapes the experts who will help redefine medicine for the next generation.
ResponsibilitiesRequisition # HRC0972385B
Works independently but in close cooperation and consultation with Research Scientists, PI, Research Nurses, and Research Coordinators, Research Bioinformatician III will interact with investigators to understand scientific questions, define the scope of work and propose an analytical plan with a time estimate for its completion. The RBIII will work independently and with bioinformatics faculties to determine future bioinformatics needs, and helps to develop tools and pipelines as necessary to keep pace with rapid advances in sequencing technology. The Bioinformatician III will also identify, evaluate, and incorporate relevant algorithms and software by reviewing pertinent literatures and develop and maintain software based on current projects and in anticipation of long-term needs.
Why work here?
Beyond an outstanding benefit package and competitive salaries, we take pride in hiring the best, most committed employees. Our staff reflects the culturally and ethnically diverse community we serve. They are proof of our dedication to creating a multifaceted, inclusive environment that fuels innovation and the gold standard of care we strive for.
What will you be doing:
- Provides general bioinformatics analysis support for omic projects and mainly responsible for data analysis and software compilations including next generation sequence alignment, polymorphism identification, expression analysis, and visualization tools and browsers.
- Summarizes data analyses results in the form suitable as the basis for the first draft of written reports, and makes preliminary interpretations of the data.
- Be proficient and maintain proficiency in development, testing, and maintenance of modular software pipelines for genome sequencing, assembly, annotation, metagenomic analysis, and genotyping using high-throughput sequencing platforms including 454, Illumina, and Pacific Biosciences.
- Manages data including loading and querying data from database systems, downloading omic data from public repositories, and transforming data to the necessary formats
- Familiar with medical and biological terminologies, bioinformatics resources, and national biological databases, Ready to provide solutions for investigator’s problems through data mining and extraction
- In a consultation setting, interact with investigators to understand scientific questions. Define the scope of work and propose an analytical plan with a time estimate for its completion.
- Identify, evaluate, and incorporate relevant algorithms and software pipelines by reviewing pertinent literatures in bioinformatics and computational biology
- Provide bioinformatics expertise in the design of experiments and studies, including research proposal development, sample size determination, and plans for interim reviews and final analysis
- Develop tools and pipelines as necessary to keep pace with rapid advances in sequencing technology.
- Interact with and support other bioinformatics colleagues in pursuing excellence in Research and Education, that is, the generation of new ideas and concepts, and their dissemination.
- Educate others about bioinformatics and computational biology through mentoring of and teaching colleagues, investigators, fellows, and graduate students. Be capable of organizing and teaching formal bioinformatics courses, inter-disciplinary courses, continuing education courses, and seminars.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, machine learning, applied mathematics, econometrics, statistics, engineering, physics, or related discipline.
- 7 years of Research Experience
- Minimum 2 years of professional experience in healthcare or pharmaceutical industries working with electronic medical record data
- Experience in bioinformatics and biology, with a degree of experience in Omics data analysis
- Strong understanding and experience in researching and resolving data issues with a logical, instinctive, and problem-solving mentality working with large, complex and incomplete sources
- Experience programming with programming language such as R or Python and proficiency level in SQL
- PhD in Systems Biology, Computer Science, Computational Biology, or a directly related field of research specialization
- 5 years of postdoctoral research experience in academia or industry involving bioinformatics and/or machine learning
Grow your career at Cedars-Sinai!
Cedars-Sinai is a nonprofit academic healthcare organization serving the diverse Los Angeles community and beyond. We are one of the leading institutes for competitive research funding from the National Institutes of Health. As an international leader in biomedical research, we translate discoveries into successful treatments with global impact. Cedars-Sinai is a hub for biomedical research with discoveries occurring in 26 departments and institutes that encompass the full spectrum of medicine.
Working Title:Research Bioinformatician III
Department:Home Dept - Hem - Onc
Business Entity:Academic / Research
Shift Length:8 hour shift
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at Applicant_Accommodation@cshs.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu) and COVID-19. For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through April each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment, subject to medical exemption or religious accommodation. For the same reason, you may also be required to receive other vaccines such as COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Cedars-Sinai reserves the right to make modifications to its required list of vaccines as required by law and/or policy.Apply Now Apply Later
Hear From Our People
“I truly love what I do and I love being an employee and steward of Cedars-Sinai. I am here because Cedars-Sinai’s mission and goals align with my own personal values as an RN. I appreciate and value that all of the leadership (especially Sr. leadership) values each and every employee, that it is the frontline staff that truly makes the difference and how our patients are cared for on a day to day basis.”– Kimako D., since 2016
“I am a proud member of the Cedars-Sinai team…Cedars holds their employees in the highest regard offering bonus’, continuing education reimbursement, and much more to promote career advancement. I have been an employee for 10+ years and I love it!”– Kathryn G., since 2007
“I have been an oncology nurse for over 30 years. Cedars-Sinai offers the most up-to-date therapies available, so I get to learn every day.”– Ann S., since 2014
“One reason I enjoy being nurse leader at Cedars-Sinai is because there is support to reach your full potential and working at the top of your scope is encouraged. It is a great place to be innovative and to inspire!”– Courtnay C., since 2015
Discover all the ways Cedars-Sinai appreciates your efforts.