Research Associate Data Scientist - Computational Biomedicine
West Hollywood, California
Here at Cedars-Sinai, our projects represent a new age in medical research and innovation, and we’re proud of the progress our team continues to make. Together, we can match the right treatment to the right patient at the right time for the best possible outcomes.
- Full Time
- Level: Mid
- Travel: No
- Glassdoor Reviews and Company Rating
What makes a successful IT professional at Cedars-Sinai? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Digitally savvy
ResponsibilitiesRequisition # HRC1059054
Join us as we translate today's discoveries into tomorrow's medicine!
When the work you do every single day has a crucial impact on the lives of others, every effort, every detail, and every second matters. This shared culture of happiness, passion, and dedication pulses through Cedars-Sinai, and it’s just one of the many reasons why we ranked the #1 hospital in California and #2 hospital in the nation by U.S. News & World Report, 2022‑23.
Are you ready to be a part of breakthrough research?
The Department of Computational Medicine is a robust infrastructure that supports bioinformatics, computational, and statistical needs of all faculty across the Cedars-Sinai enterprise and the expanding needs of our Departments and Institutes. To learn more, please visit Department of Computational Biomedicine | Cedars-Sinai.
Are you ready to be a part of breakthrough research?
The Research Associate Data Scientist participates in biomedical research projects using programming, data -mining, statistics, machine -learning, and visualization techniques to develop, evaluate, and/or apply algorithms and software for data analysis. Responsibilities include querying databases, data processing, supervised and unsupervised machine learning, deploying production models, and communication of scientific findings via peer-reviewed publications and scientific conferences. Writes clean, performant, reusable code managed on GitHub to perform repeatable analyses and to train and deploy models to multiple environments.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assists with the development, evaluation, and/or application of computational and statistical methods including artificial intelligence and machine learning algorithms and software for the analysis of biomedical data.
- Assists with the presentation and communication of scientific results through laboratory meetings, scientific conferences, and peer-reviewed publications.
- Creates database-to-deployment pipelines for models using the necessary programming languages (primarily R, Python, SQL).
- Creates sustainable data science infrastructure and adheres to data analysis/machine learning best practices.
- Performs exploratory data analysis to gauge the need for or appropriateness of advanced analytical methods.
- Works with senior or lead data scientists and principal investigators to identify areas where data science can best be applied to answer biomedical research questions.
- Keeps appropriate analytical records, documentation, and software version control.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Participates in the development of innovative algorithms and analytical methods.
- Participates in the evaluation and interpretation of all analytical methods and results.
- Participates in the oral and written communication of scientific results including publications.
- Participates in analytical training activities for faculty, staff, and students.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Sciences, Machine Learning, Applied Mathematics, Econometrics, Statistics, Engineering, Physics, or related field, required. Master's degree, preferred.
Experience and Skills:
- Up to two (2) years of professional experience in healthcare or pharmaceutical industries working with biomedical data.
- Experience programming at an intermediate skill level with a high-level programming language such as Python. College projects may be acceptable.
- Experience programming in R, Python, or Linux bash and genetics and genomics data analysis preferred.
- Experience in biomedical machine learning is preferred.
- Working knowledge of data privacy and security including best practices for data with personal health identifiers (PHI) covered under HIPAA.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills. And has full command (verbal and written) of the English language.
- Demonstrates commitment to customer service and an ability to meet the needs and expectations of patients and health care colleagues.
- Demonstrated success working independently, forging relationships, and managing multiple tasks with minimal directions.
- Ability to promote and foster participation/collaboration among individuals and groups.
- Ability to handle multiple demands and/or manage complex and competing priorities.
- Ability to analyze qualitative and quantitative information for decision support.
- High level of proficiency using Microsoft Windows and other Microsoft Office software: MS Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint Word, etc.
- Must be able to manage competing priorities, while being extremely adaptable and flexible and maintaining a positive work environment.
Working Title: Research Associate Data Scientist - Computational Biomedicine
Department: Computational BioMedicine
Business Entity: Academic / Research
Job Category: Information Technology
Job Specialty: Business Intelligence/Reporting
Position Type: Full-time
Shift Length: 8 hour shift
Shift Type: Day
Base Pay: $78,400.00 - $133,100.00
Our compensation philosophy
We offer competitive total compensation that includes pay, benefits, and other recognition programs for our employees. The base pay range shown above takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including knowledge/skills; relevant experience and training; education/certifications/licensure; and other business and organizational factors. This base pay range does not include our comprehensive benefits package and any incentive payments that may be applicable to this role
Diversity and Inclusion at Cedars-Sinai
We are caretakers and innovators committed to the pursuit of equitable healthcare. But health equity is not possible without representation. Our commitment to diversity goes beyond demographics or checking boxes. Our people must reflect the diverse identities, experiences and geographies of the communities and patients we serve – because that’s what our patients, colleagues and communities deserve. Quality Care and Research—For All, By All.
Cedars-Sinai is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at Applicant_Accommodation@cshs.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu) and COVID-19. For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through April each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment, subject to medical exemption or religious accommodation. For the same reason, you may also be required to receive other vaccines such as COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Cedars-Sinai reserves the right to make modifications to its required list of vaccines as required by law and/or policy.
Discover all the ways Cedars-Sinai appreciates your efforts.
Medical, Dental, Vision, Healthcare FSA, Dependent Care FSA, Health and Wellness Programs
Expand your horizons by working and learning along side the best in the industry.
Awards & Recognition
We are committed to creating an inclusive environment.