The Biller/Collector I efficiently and effectively bill and collect monies relative to physician reimbursements. Is in charge of processing accounts which are straightforward in processing and require little or no special research to complete the reimbursement processes. Will work with close supervision of management to ensure the integrity of the work performed.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Follow-up on all assigned accounts from within the Epic system within pre-established goals with supervision.
- Initiates proactive measures that result in account resolution.
- Ensures all conditions for payment receipt have been satisfied, which includes, but not limited to:
- accurate charges
- patient insurance eligibility
- accurate financial class
- patient benefit coverage
- authorization/certification/TAR information
- patient responsibilities
- claims address
- CPT-4 coding, as applicable
- ICD-10 coding, as applicable
4. Responds timely and accurately to all incoming related correspondence and inquires from payers, patients and other authorized parties. Reports any trends in incoming correspondence to managers for appropriate follow-up.
5. Interacts with co-workers and other representatives to acquire required information on a timely basis.
6. Initiates contact with patients as necessary
7. Initiates recommendations and actions for resolving patient accounts. Evaluate accounts to determine any write-offs or corrections required, including duplicate charges.
8. Submit bills to insurance for secondary insurance.
9. Ensures vital documentation and information is accurate according to departmental policies and procedures. Ensure that all documentation is complete for submission to determine ultimate action on patient account.
10. Follow-up on all unpaid accounts.
11. Work and resolve transactions assigned by their Supervisors.
12. Answer telephones, patient inquiries, and respond appropriately to written correspondence relative to a patient’s account.
13. Research and prioritize incoming mail, resubmit denials with accurate documentation.
14. Verify accurate initial subscriber billing information and update information in the system as vital.
15. Prepare refund request for any or all monies due to patient or insurance company as a result off overpayments.
16. When applicable, post adjustments to accounts in accordance departmental policies and procedures.
17. Respond to all phone calls from other departments or insurance companies in an efficient and friendly manner.
18. Demonstrate teamwork and provide assistance with special projects when assigned.
19. Responsible for updating information (charges, adjustments, write-offs, bad debt, refunds to patients/insurance companies, and professional courtesies).
20. Clearly detail within the patient’s account, actions taken on the account and any other follow-up that was done, including what the outcome should be.
High school diploma or GED required.
- One to three (1-3) years of experience performing medical billing functions.
- Experience includes corresponding with patients and insurance companies in resolving patient accounts.
- Extensive knowledge of insurance carrier procedures.
- Experience with reading Explanation of Benefits (EOB) statements.
- Experience with online Accounts Receivable billing systems (Epic system experience a plus).
- Knowledge of PC based software applications (e.g. Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.).
- Type 35+ wpm.
- Working Title: Biller / Collector I - Billing Services
- Department: MNS Billing Svc
- Business Entity: Medical Network
- City: Torrance
- Job Category: Patient Financial Services
- Job Specialty: Patient Billing
- Position Type: Full-time
- Shift Length: 8 hour shift
- Shift Type: Day
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at Applicant_Accommodation@cshs.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu) and COVID-19. For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through April each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment, subject to medical exemption or religious accommodation. For the same reason, you may also be required to receive other vaccines such as COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Cedars-Sinai reserves the right to make modifications to its required list of vaccines as required by law and/or policy.Apply NowApply Later