Make a difference every single day!
At Cedars-Sinai, we're motivated by a collective spirit of innovation and the challenge to continuously improve. Above all, we share a real passion for helping others. Day after day, from department to department, our people give their all to create a community unlike any other. This is just one of the many reasons U.S. News & World Report has named us one of America’s Best Hospitals—and now we invite you to join us and make a difference every single day in service of this outstanding work – excellence and innovation in patient care, research, and community service. From working with a team of dedicated professionals to using state-of-the-art facilities, you’ll have great resources to do something incredible—for yourself, and for others.
What will you be doing in this role?
The Senior Histologist functions with minimal direction from supervisory personnel. Responsibilities include embedding, cutting, staining tissue, performing routine and technically complex laboratory procedures requiring advanced cognitive, manipulative, and problem-solving skills. The Senior Histologist’s activities include operating and maintaining laboratory equipment, monitoring, and evaluating the quality of tissue processing, verifying, and evaluating quality control results, and resolving technical and quality control problems. Additional duties include general and administrative support functions necessary for the routine operation of the laboratory. Performs all job duties with sensitivity and attention to the developmental issues of the patient population(s) being served.
- Embeds tissue in paraffin or other media, cuts tissue block using specialized equipment to produce glass slides, and stains slides with tissue using automated instrument or manual process.
- Operates and maintains laboratory equipment such as tissue processors, embedding centers, microtomes, cryostats, automated stainers, ovens, fridges, freezers, incubators, and other select equipment.
- Attends to routine operational and support functions such as preparing solutions/reagents/buffers, stocking supplies, disposing of reagents and hazardous materials, and maintaining and storing tissue blocks/slide samples and records.
- Performs subspecialty service that requires specialized training and technique e.g., renal, muscle, liver biopsies.
- Performs daily instrument/equipment/reagent/buffer function verification and documents daily in preventive maintenance logs, according to establish policies and procedures.
- Uses, follows, and documents appropriate standards for test methodology quality controls.
- Accurately identifies specimens and labels samples completely, using at least two identifiers, at each step of the laboratory process to ensure patient/specimen safety and quality outcomes.
- Documents Non-Conforming Events (NCEs), initiates problem-solving activities, resolves discrepancies, and takes corrective action procedures.
- Documents review of new/existing policies and procedures to keep abreast of changes. Supports implementation of new processes.
- Recognizes basic and complex problems in test methodology, quality control and instrument troubleshooting, initiates problem-solving activities and corrective action procedures.
- Performs parallel shipment (lot verification) testing.
- Works directly with Pathologists to address sub-specialty service needs.
- High School Diploma/GED.
- AA degree from an accredited Histology Training Program preferred.
- Three years of experience in histopathology laboratory under supervision of a licensed pathologist and certified histologist.
- Certification as a Histotechnician (HT, ASCP) or Histotechnologist (HTL, ASCP) preferred.
Working Title: Senior Histologist
Department: Path-Surg Path
Business Entity: Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
Job Category: Pathology/Lab
Job Specialty: Pathology
Position Type: Full-time
Shift Length: 8 hour shift
Shift Type: Day
Base Pay:$39.65 - $61.46
Our compensation philosophy
We offer competitive total compensation that includes pay, benefits, and other recognition programs for our employees. The base pay range shown above takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including knowledge/skills; relevant experience and training; education/certifications/licensure; and other business and organizational factors. This base pay range does not include our comprehensive benefits package and any incentive payments that may be applicable to this role. Pay Transparency Non Discrimination Provision
Diversity and Inclusion at Cedars-Sinai
We are caretakers and innovators committed to the pursuit of equitable healthcare. But health equity is not possible without representation. Our commitment to diversity goes beyond demographics or checking boxes. Our people must reflect the diverse identities, experiences and geographies of the communities and patients we serve – because that’s what our patients, colleagues and communities deserve. Quality Care and Research—For All, By All.
Cedars-Sinai is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at Applicant_Accommodation@cshs.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu) and COVID-19. For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through April each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment, subject to medical exemption or religious accommodation. For the same reason, you may also be required to receive other vaccines such as COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Cedars-Sinai reserves the right to make modifications to its required list of vaccines as required by law and/or policy. Cedars-Sinai’s AA Policy Statement