Research Data Scientist - Li Lab - Computational Biomedicine
Los Angeles, California
Here at Cedars-Sinai, our projects represent a new age in medical research and innovation, and we’re proud of the progress our team continues to make. Together, we can match the right treatment to the right patient at the right time for the best possible outcomes.
- Full Time
- Level: Mid
- Travel: No
- Glassdoor Reviews and Company Rating
What makes a successful IT professional at Cedars-Sinai? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Digitally savvy
ResponsibilitiesRequisition # HRC0878551
Everyone's unique health journey is informed by data. Join us as we translate today's discoveries into tomorrow's medicine!
The Department of Computational Medicine is a robust infrastructure that supports bioinformatics, computational, and statistical needs of all faculty across the Cedars-Sinai enterprise and the expanding needs of our Departments and Institutes.
Are you ready to be a part of breakthrough research?
The Research Data Scientist delivers analytical solutions using programming, data-mining, statistics, machine-learning and visualization techniques. Responsibilities include querying databases, data processing, supervised and unsupervised machine learning, deploying production models, and communicating findings. Writes clean, performant, reusable code to perform repeatable analyses and to train and deploy models to multiple environments. Assists in making strategic data-related decisions by analyzing and manipulating data and building models to assist in the clinical and operational setting.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assists with the analysis of large-scale clinical, genetic, imaging, and other biomedical datasets.
- Assists with the development, evaluation, and/or application of computational and statistical methods including artificial intelligence and machine learning algorithms and software for the analysis of biomedical data.
- Assists with the presentation and communication of scientific results through laboratory meetings, scientific conferences, and peer-reviewed publications.
- Creates database-to-deployment pipelines for models using the necessary programming languages (primarily R, Python, SQL).
- Creates sustainable data science infrastructure and adheres to data analysis/machine learning best practices.
- Performs exploratory data analysis to gauge the need for or appropriateness of advanced analytical methods.
- Works with senior or lead data scientists and principal investigators to identify areas where data science can best be applied to answer biomedical research questions.
- Tests and validates code to ensure robustness of data applications with version control through GitHub.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Participates in the development of innovative algorithms and analytical methods.
- Participates in the evaluation and interpretation of all analytical methods and results.
- Participates in the communication of scientific results including publications.
- Participates in analytical training activities for faculty, staff, and students.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Sciences, Machine Learning, Applied Mathematics, Econometrics, Statistics, Engineering, Physics, or related field, required. Master's degree, preferred.
Experience and Skills:
- Two to five (2-5) years of professional experience in healthcare or pharmaceutical industries working with electronic medical record data.
- Experience programming at an intermediate skill level with a high-level programming language such as R or Python. College projects may be acceptable.
- Experience programming at a basic to intermediate proficiency level in SQL.
- Experience in biomedical machine learning is preferred.
- Collaborates to problem solve and make decisions to achieve desired outcomes.
- Cultivates and maintains strong customer relationships and rapport with stakeholders and/or client groups.
- Working knowledge of data privacy and security including best practices for data with personal health identifiers (PHI) covered under HIPAA.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills including scientific writing. And has full command (verbal and written) of the English language.
- Demonstrates commitment to customer service and an ability to meet the needs and expectations of patients and health care colleagues.
- Demonstrated success working independently, forging relationships, and managing multiple tasks with minimal directions.
- Ability to promote and foster participation/collaboration among individuals and groups.
- Ability to handle multiple demands and/or manage complex and competing priorities.
- Ability to analyze qualitative and quantitative information for research.
- High level of proficiency using Microsoft Windows and other Microsoft Office software: MS Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint Word, etc.
- Must be able to manage competing priorities, while being extremely adaptable and flexible and maintaining a positive work environment.
- Working Title: Research Data Scientist - Li Lab - Computational Biomedicine
- Department: Computational BioMedicine
- Business Entity: Academic / Research
- City: Los Angeles
- Job Category: Information Technology
- Job Specialty: Business Intelligence/Reporting
- Position Type: Full-time
- Shift Length: 8 hour shift
- Shift Type: Day
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at Applicant_Accommodation@cshs.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu) and COVID-19. For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through April each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment, subject to medical exemption or religious accommodation. For the same reason, you may also be required to receive other vaccines such as COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Cedars-Sinai reserves the right to make modifications to its required list of vaccines as required by law and/or policy.Apply NowApply Later
Discover all the ways Cedars-Sinai appreciates your efforts.
Medical, Dental, Vision, Healthcare FSA, Dependent Care FSA, Health and Wellness Programs
Expand your horizons by working and learning along side the best in the industry.
Awards & Recognition
We are committed to creating an inclusive environment.