When the work you do every single day has a crucial impact on the lives of others, every effort, every detail, and every second matters. This shared culture of happiness, passion, and dedication pulses through Cedars-Sinai, and it’s just one of the many reasons we rank as one of the top hospitals in the nation by U.S. News & World Report. From working with a team of committed healthcare professionals to using state-of-the-art facilities, you’ll have everything necessary do something incredible—for yourself and for others!
Are you passionate about applying genomics, computer science, and probability theory to study cancer progression?
The laboratories of Dr. Theodorescu and Dr. Knott are searching for a joint computational biologist to study bladder tumors to develop novel treatments. They are seeking someone that has a solid understanding of cell biology and cancer, and the emphasis is on computational proficiency matched with the ability to derive new hypotheses from large complex datasets.
Under close supervision, the Research Bioinformatician I will perform general bioinformatics analysis and software support for projects involving in omics. In this role you will work with omic data including loading and querying data from database systems/public repositories, and transform/merge multilevel omic data into user-friendly formats. Also assist in the development, test, and continuity of modular software pipelines by providing daily bioinformatics data analysis, preliminary interpretation of the data, and reporting of the results for possible publications.
- Provides general bioinformatics analysis support for omic projects and responsible for data analysis and software compilations including next generation sequence alignment, polymorphism identification, expression analysis, and visualization tools and browsers.
- Summarizes data analyses results in the form suitable as the basis for the first draft of written reports, and makes preliminary interpretations of the data.
- Assists in development, testing, and maintenance of modular software pipelines for genome sequencing, assembly, annotation, metagenomic analysis, and genotyping using high-throughput sequencing platforms including 454, Illumina, and Pacific Biosciences
- Helps to identify, evaluate, and incorporate relevant algorithms and software pipelines by reviewing pertinent literatures in bioinformatics and computational biology
- Master of Science Degree required within Computer Science, Engineering, Computational biology, or Bioinformatics or relevant fields (e.g. Biology with strong quantitative training, biostatistics with concentration in bioinformatics).
- 3 years in a research environment
- Background and working knowledge in algorithms, scientific computing, and machine learning or statistics
- Knowledge of C/C++, Java, Perl, python, and the Unix (Linux) environment
- Experience in manipulating, analyzing, and annotating very large genomic (e.g. NGS) data sets, both in exploratory and pipelined fashions, is a plus
- Working Title: Research Bioinformatician I - Theodorescu/Knott Lab - Cancer Institute
- Department: Home Dept - Hem - Onc
- Business Entity: Academic / Research
- City: Los Angeles
- Job Category: Academic/Research
- Job Specialty: Bioinformatics
- Position Type: Full-time
- Shift Length: 8 hour shift
- Shift Type: Day
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at Applicant_Accommodation@cshs.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu). For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through March each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment.Apply NowApply Later