Research Bioinformatician I - Meyer Lab - Computational Biomedicine
Los Angeles, California
Cedars-Sinai is a hub for biomedical research and a training center for future physicians and other healthcare professionals. By joining us in an academic role, you’ll be a part of formulating future ideas for discovery and then translating those discoveries into cures for the benefit and health of the Los Angeles community.
- Full-time & Per-Diem
- Level: Mid to Senior
- Travel: Minimal (if any)
- Glassdoor Reviews and Company Rating
What makes a successful Research Bioinformatician I - Meyer Lab - Computational Biomedicine at Cedars-Sinai? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
Discovery is central to Cedars-Sinai’s mission. Our laboratories and clinics generate ideas, therapies, devices, and systems that contribute to biomedical progress around the world. Cedars-Sinai’s investigators push the frontiers of biomedicine with studies in cardiac care, cancer, digestive health, the neurosciences, women’s health, and more. Cedars-Sinai’s robust academic enterprise shapes the experts who will help redefine medicine for the next generation.
ResponsibilitiesRequisition # HRC0912369
Data informs everyone’s unique health journey. Join us as we translate today's discoveries into tomorrow's medicine!
Cedars-Sinai is home to some of the most advanced biomedical research and training programs in the world, which attracts renowned physician-scientists seeking an unparalleled environment for fostering invention and teamwork.
The Meyer lab at Cedars-Sinai is seeking a Research Bioinformatician to work on projects related to proteomics, proteome informatics, mass spectrometry, metabolomics, multi-omic data integration, computational drug discovery and/or cheminformatics. We are open to hiring at multiple levels from BS to MS to postdoc. Candidates with skills in machine learning, statistics, web development, and/or projects and publications related to the above areas of interest will be given priority. We realize that most people will not have experience in all these areas so candidates with at least some experience with omics data should consider applying. We are also starting to work with single-cell proteomics data. The Meyer lab is NIH funded and growing quickly.
To learn more, please visit Jesse Meyer Research Group (jessemeyerlab.com)
Are you ready to be a part of breakthrough research?
Under close supervision, the Research Bioinformatician I performs general bioinformatics analysis and software support for projects involving in omics. The RBI will manage omic data including loading and querying data from database system and public repositories, and transform and merge multilevel omic data into user-friendly formats, assist in development, test, and maintenance of modular software pipelines, provide daily bioinformatics data analysis, preliminary interpretation of the data, and reports of the results for possible publications. The Research Bioinformatician I also performs research into new ways to do data analysis.
Primary Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides general bioinformatics analysis support for omic projects and is mainly responsible for data analysis and software compilations including next-generation sequence alignment, polymorphism identification, expression analysis, and visualization tools and browsers.
- Summarizes data analysis results in the form suitable as the basis for the first draft of written reports, and makes preliminary interpretations of the data.
- Assists in the development, testing, and maintenance of modular software pipelines for genome sequencing, assembly, annotation, metagenomic analysis, and genotyping using high-throughput sequencing platforms including 454, Illumina, and Pacific Biosciences.
- Manages data including loading and querying data from database systems, downloading omic data from public repositories, and transforming data to the necessary formats.
- Helps to identify, evaluate, and incorporate relevant algorithms and software pipelines by reviewing pertinent pieces of literature in bioinformatics and computational biology.
- Leads and works on collaborative projects working closely with the PI, as well as writing papers and publishing findings.
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Computational Biology, or Bioinformatics is required. Master's Degree or Doctorate degree preferred.
Experience and Skills:
- 0 - 3 years in a research environment. Background and work knowledge in algorithms, scientific computing, and machine learning or statistics.
- Familiar with C/C++, Java, Perl, Python, Matlab, and the Unix (Linux) environment.
- Experience in manipulating, analyzing, and annotating very large genomic (e.g. NGS) data sets, both in exploratory and pipelined fashions is an advantage.
- Working Title: Research Bioinformatician I - Meyer Lab - Computational Biomedicine
- Department: Computational BioMedicine
- Business Entity: Academic / Research
- City: Los Angeles
- Job Category: Academic/Research
- Job Specialty: Bioinformatics
- Position Type: Full-time
- Shift Length: 8 hour shift
- Shift Type: Day
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at Applicant_Accommodation@cshs.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu) and COVID-19. For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through April each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment, subject to medical exemption or religious accommodation. For the same reason, you may also be required to receive other vaccines such as COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Cedars-Sinai reserves the right to make modifications to its required list of vaccines as required by law and/or policy.Apply Now Apply Later
Hear From Our People
“I truly love what I do and I love being an employee and steward of Cedars-Sinai. I am here because Cedars-Sinai’s mission and goals align with my own personal values as an RN. I appreciate and value that all of the leadership (especially Sr. leadership) values each and every employee, that it is the frontline staff that truly makes the difference and how our patients are cared for on a day to day basis.”– Kimako D., since 2016
“I am a proud member of the Cedars-Sinai team…Cedars holds their employees in the highest regard offering bonus’, continuing education reimbursement, and much more to promote career advancement. I have been an employee for 10+ years and I love it!”– Kathryn G., since 2007
“I have been an oncology nurse for over 30 years. Cedars-Sinai offers the most up-to-date therapies available, so I get to learn every day.”– Ann S., since 2014
“One reason I enjoy being nurse leader at Cedars-Sinai is because there is support to reach your full potential and working at the top of your scope is encouraged. It is a great place to be innovative and to inspire!”– Courtnay C., since 2015
Discover all the ways Cedars-Sinai appreciates your efforts.