- Information Technology
- Medical Network
Research Bioinformatician I - Merchant Lab - Cancer InstituteRequisition # 20000794 Apply Now
The Merchant lab is seeking a Research Bioinformatician I who can provide bioinformatics analysis of suspension mass cytometry (CyTOF) and imaging mass cytometry. Our lab runs the imaging mass cytometry/CyTOF core facility at Cedars-Sinai. Imaging mass cytometry allows for highly multiplexed (35+ markers) imaging of immune and tumor cells, with spatial information and subcellular resolution. Imaging mass cytometry can be applied to all tissue types including cell lines, organoid, frozen section and FFPE fixed archival tissue. Experience with digital pathology, multiplex immunohistochemistry, CyCIF, image analysis, and/or GIS analysis would be highly preferred. Collaborations with other investigators at Cedars-Sinai allows access to data from single cell RNAseq, mass spec proteomics, and metabolic studies of immune cells.
Cancer Research Breakthroughs Begin with Employees Like You
The Merchant Laboratory is studying how tumor cells interact with their microenvironment and how this interaction contributes to the development and maintenance of cancer. In particular, the Merchant Lab is interested in signaling pathways that confer resistance to chemotherapy or other stem-cell-like properties to cancer cells. Another area of interest is how immune cells are trafficked into the tumor space and how immune cells can be harnessed to treat cancer.
Are you ready to apply your skills?
In addition the Research Bioinformatician will be responsible for the following:
• Provides general bioinformatics analysis support for IMC projects, assist in development, testing and maintenance of software pipelines for IMC data analysis, statistical analysis, pathway analysis, and visualization.
• Summarizes data analyses results in the form of visualization plots & reports to aid in preliminary interpretations of the data.
• Software-engineering to improve usability, extensibility and scalability of existing programs including development of custom software interfaces & automation/optimization/parallelization of tasks.
• Helps to identify, evaluate, and incorporate relevant algorithms and software pipelines by reviewing pertinent literatures in bioinformatics and computational biology.
• Works with the PI and core collaborators on standard and complex research projects to customize analysis of data.
• Develop web-based custom analytics and data management applications and tools to facilitate large-scale data analysis.
- Master of Science Degree in Computer Science, Electric Engineering, Computational biology, or Bioinformatics, or Master of Science/ Engineering in relevant fields (e.g. Biology with strong quantitative training, biostatistics with concentration in bioinformatics)
- Minimum 2 years of experience in a research environment.
- Background and work knowledge in algorithms, scientific computing, and machine learning or statistics.
- Familiar with C/C++, Java, Perl, python, R and the Unix (Linux) environment
- Experience in manipulating, analyzing, and annotating large data sets both in exploratory and pipelined fashions
- Working Title: Research Bioinformatician I - Merchant Lab - Cancer Institute
- Department: Home Dept - Hem - Onc
- Business Entity: Academic / Research
- City: Los Angeles
- Job Category: Academic/Research
- Job Specialty: Bioinformatics
- Position Type: Full-time
- Shift Length: 8 hour shift
- Shift Type: Day
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at Applicant_Accommodation@cshs.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu). For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through March each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment.
About Our Location
Los Angeles, CaliforniaView Map