Research Associate III - Pancreatic Medicine
Los Angeles, California
Cedars-Sinai is a hub for biomedical research and a training center for future physicians and other healthcare professionals. By joining us in an academic role, you’ll be a part of formulating future ideas for discovery and then translating those discoveries into cures for the benefit and health of the Los Angeles community.
- Full-time & Per-Diem
- Level: Mid to Senior
- Travel: Minimal (if any)
- Glassdoor Reviews and Company Rating
What makes a successful Research Associate III - Pancreatic Medicine at Cedars-Sinai? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
Discovery is central to Cedars-Sinai’s mission. Our laboratories and clinics generate ideas, therapies, devices, and systems that contribute to biomedical progress around the world. Cedars-Sinai’s investigators push the frontiers of biomedicine with studies in cardiac care, cancer, digestive health, the neurosciences, women’s health, and more. Cedars-Sinai’s robust academic enterprise shapes the experts who will help redefine medicine for the next generation.
ResponsibilitiesRequisition # HRC0630509A
Cedars-Sinai is dedicated to being the international leader in pancreatic research through its advances in prevention, early diagnosis and treatment of pancreatic cancer, pancreatitis and diabetes.
The Pancreatic Research group focuses on mechanisms of pancreatic diseases such as pancreatitis and pancreatic cancer. The work often involves other organs including the liver, or cultured cells. The position requires expertise in molecular and cell biology and biochemistry. The position includes animal experimentation to develop models of inflammation and cancer in pancreas as well as cellular and in vitro systems. Specific projects that might be undertaken include characterizing acute and/or chronic pancreatitis caused by human trypsin mutants, the role of the unfolded protein response in pancreatic cancer, or studies of acute and chronic pancreatitis and pancreatic cancer in the context of obesity and/or diabetes. For more information, please visit: Pancreatic Research | Cedars-Sinai and https://bio.cedars-sinai.org/lugeaa/index.html.
As a Research Associate III (RAIII), you will work closely with the Principal Investigator providing technical and/or administrative support in large or multi-project oriented labs. May be requested to take on specific supervisory activities and provide administrative leadership and/or technical expertise. May develop hypothesis and assist in planning steps for the investigative process. Will review and remain current on literature as it relates to clinical/research study. Coordinates all lab and/or research activities, including but not limited to, budgetary/financial compliance, preparation of grant and/or manuscript proposals, and creating independent presentations. Not responsible for generating grant funds.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides specific, directed clinical/research support (planning and performing independent experiments, plus hypothesis development, programming, ad hoc data analysis, troubleshooting, etc.).
- Organizes clinical/scientific research in conjunction with the Principal Investigator and sponsor and/or funding source.
- Monitors and ensures compliance with safety standards and procedures.
- Analyzes data and prepares scientific findings for publication as author or co-author.
- May make independent presentations.
- May be requested by PI to lead and train other Research Lab Assistant, Research Fellow, lower-level Research Associate or related support staff, and/or take on specific supervisory activities.
- Orients new Research Fellows and/or Research Scientists to day-to-day lab operations and procedures.
Minimum of a Bachelor of Science degree required.
Experience and Skillset:
- Three (3) years research laboratory experience, required
- Two (2) years experience in research specialty, preferred.
- Demonstrated expertise with standard chemistry and molecular biology lab practices and techniques including working with nucleic acids (for example, molecular cloning, DNA/RNA extraction, and PCR/RT-PCR) and proteins (e.g., Western blotting, fluorescence measurements) is desired.
- Experience in cutting-edge histology/imaging techniques including quantitative bright-field and fluorescence microscopy and confocal microscopy is a plus.
- Previous experience working with rodents and models of disease strongly preferred and mouse models of cancer is a plus, but is not required.
- Expertise in animal models, genomics and/or proteomics especially that involving the pancreas will be advantageous.
- Highly motivated, independently with superior interpersonal, communication, and strong organizational and computer skills (MS Word, MS Excel, MS Access, PowerPoint).
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, very detail-oriented, self-motivated, works well with others and ability to multitask.
- May be called on to master complex or unusual technical procedures and protocols.
- Ability to research, develop and implement new laboratory procedures and protocols.
- Working Title: Research Associate III - Pancreatic Medicine
- Department: Home Dept - Medicine Research
- Business Entity: Academic / Research
- City: Los Angeles
- Job Category: Academic/Research
- Job Specialty: Research Studies/Clinical Trials
- Position Type: Full-time
- Shift Length: 8 hour shift
- Shift Type: Day
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at Applicant_Accommodation@cshs.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu) and COVID-19. For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through April each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment, subject to medical exemption or religious accommodation. For the same reason, you may also be required to receive other vaccines such as COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Cedars-Sinai reserves the right to make modifications to its required list of vaccines as required by law and/or policy.Apply Now Apply Later
Hear From Our People
“I truly love what I do and I love being an employee and steward of Cedars-Sinai. I am here because Cedars-Sinai’s mission and goals align with my own personal values as an RN. I appreciate and value that all of the leadership (especially Sr. leadership) values each and every employee, that it is the frontline staff that truly makes the difference and how our patients are cared for on a day to day basis.”– Kimako D., since 2016
“I am a proud member of the Cedars-Sinai team…Cedars holds their employees in the highest regard offering bonus’, continuing education reimbursement, and much more to promote career advancement. I have been an employee for 10+ years and I love it!”– Kathryn G., since 2007
“I have been an oncology nurse for over 30 years. Cedars-Sinai offers the most up-to-date therapies available, so I get to learn every day.”– Ann S., since 2014
“One reason I enjoy being nurse leader at Cedars-Sinai is because there is support to reach your full potential and working at the top of your scope is encouraged. It is a great place to be innovative and to inspire!”– Courtnay C., since 2015
Discover all the ways Cedars-Sinai appreciates your efforts.