The academic research laboratory of Dr. Jennifer Van Eyk within the Advanced Clinical Biosystems Research Institute at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center is seeking a talented and motivated Mass Spectrometry technician (Research Associate II) to join our team.to join our team of scientist researchers, clinicians, bioinformatics, mass spectrometrists and proteomics experts. While training will be provided, our ideal candidate would have experience in proteomics or metabolomics, and mass spectrometry. As a mass spectrometry technician, you will work senior staff and scientists to assist in the operation, maintenance, and quality control of the mass spectrometry systems for large scale studies. You will also engage in protocol development and optimization and will aid in the conversion of successful protocols into standard operating procedures especially for new or emerging proteomic approaches including single cell and high throughput drug/perturbations cellular screening to meet our needs within our dynamic research program that blends high end technology and projects with clear clinical relevance.
Working under direct supervision, as a Research Associate II, you will perform routine and increasingly complex laboratory tasks and procedures and develops technical expertise in one or more areas relevant to research projects. Will participate in research activities involving all aspects of the research process, to include, but not limited to; investigation, technical, testing/validation of results, and report findings. You will perform a variety of routine experimental protocols and procedures to support the objectives of laboratory research projects and will observe and comply with safety standards and procedures, assist in preparation of data for publication and/or presentation at scholarly meetings, and assist in general laboratory maintenance. This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs a variety of increasingly complex experimental protocols and procedures and assist in the design of new complex or unusual protocols and techniques.
- Keeps accurate and detailed records of experiments and results, and assist in identifying and troubleshooting of unexpected results.
- Orders laboratory supplies and supports laboratory operations.
- Maintains lab equipment and related records and may coordinate use of lab equipment.
- Assists in the operation of specialized equipment, as required by the area of research.
- Assists in preparation of data for publication and/or presentation at scholarly meetings.
- Observes and complies with safety standards and procedures.
- Orients research laboratory assistants or lower level research associates and undergraduate student researchers on day-to-day lab operations and routine procedures.
DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC DESCRIPTION AND TASKS:
- Run and maintain LC-MS instruments as part of our LC-MS team as directly instructed.
- Prepare quality control standards.
- Monitor and report on weekly Quality Control assessments of sample preparation and instrument performance.
- Perform and document mass spectrometer calibrations.
- Maintain instrument and consumable elog-books.
- Arrange visits of external service engineers to ensure instrument down-time is minimized.
- Work closely with the MS leads and scientists to develop and optimize new MS protocols and adapt successful workflows into new Standard Operating Protocols for the core.
- Responsible for materials ordering, receiving and inventory.
Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts Degree in biological sciences is required
- Minimum of one (1) year of research laboratory experience is required
- Understanding of general research objectives.
- Familiar with routine laboratory procedures, experimental protocols, and overall lab organization.
- Must be highly motivated and able to work independently.
- Must have superior interpersonal, communication and organization skills and the ability to work across company disciplines and functional units, and computer application experience.
- Must possess computer skills to include, but not limited to, Excel and Word.
- Ability to simultaneously manage multiple clerical trials, and attention to details.
- While some prior experience with mass spectrometry is preferred, wet bench experience is required.
- Working Title: Research Associate II - Smidt Heart Institute - Van Eyk Lab
- Department: Heart Institute Operations
- Business Entity: Academic / Research
- City: Los Angeles
- Job Category: Academic/Research
- Job Specialty: Research Studies/Clinical Trials
- Position Type: Full-time
- Shift Length: 8 hour shift
- Shift Type: Day
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at Applicant_Accommodation@cshs.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu) and COVID-19. For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through April each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment, subject to medical exemption or religious accommodation. For the same reason, you may also be required to receive other vaccines such as COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Cedars-Sinai reserves the right to make modifications to its required list of vaccines as required by law and/or policy.Apply NowApply Later