Research Associate II - Smidt Heart Institute - Karlstaedt Lab
Los Angeles, California
Cedars-Sinai is a hub for biomedical research and a training center for future physicians and other healthcare professionals. By joining us in an academic role, you’ll be a part of formulating future ideas for discovery and then translating those discoveries into cures for the benefit and health of the Los Angeles community.
- Full-time & Per-Diem
- Level: Mid to Senior
- Travel: Minimal (if any)
- Glassdoor Reviews and Company Rating
What makes a successful Research Associate II - Smidt Heart Institute - Karlstaedt Lab at Cedars-Sinai? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
Discovery is central to Cedars-Sinai’s mission. Our laboratories and clinics generate ideas, therapies, devices, and systems that contribute to biomedical progress around the world. Cedars-Sinai’s investigators push the frontiers of biomedicine with studies in cardiac care, cancer, digestive health, the neurosciences, women’s health, and more. Cedars-Sinai’s robust academic enterprise shapes the experts who will help redefine medicine for the next generation.
ResponsibilitiesRequisition # HRC0890901
Working under direct supervision, our Research Associate II will perform routine and increasingly complex laboratory tasks and procedures and develops technical expertise in one or more areas relevant to research projects. You will participate in research activities involving all aspects of the research process, to include, but not limited to; investigation, technical, testing/validation of results, and report findings. Will perform a variety of routine experimental protocols and procedures to support the objectives of laboratory research projects. You will observe and comply with safety standards and procedures, assist in preparation of data for publication and/or presentation at scholarly meetings, and assist in general laboratory maintenance. This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Support the Principal Investigator (PI) and Research Lab in the execution and maintenance of research operations. Will oversee daily operations of an academic research laboratory, actively participate in the training of postdoctoral fellows/graduate students/undergraduates/technicians, and perform primary research as needed to explore new ideas or help bring ongoing projects to publication. Duties will include overseeing the maintenance of equipment/inventory; perform analysis and documentation of experimental protocols; utilize routine and special techniques for monitoring the safety of lab space and personnel. Responsibilities include overseeing use of laboratory funds, supply inventory, and technical staff activities; performing primary bench research to explore new ideas during the inception phase and/or assisting with completing ongoing research projects in preparation for publication; maintaining and organizing reagents/supplies database; assisting with planning, organizing, and coordinating grant submissions, project reports, talks/presentations, and lab-wide activities; overseeing research compliance activities; serving as EHS safety officer; oversee protocol implementation and renewals; the upkeep of an active animal colony; serve as the primary resource for lab members on research techniques, onboarding new staff to the lab, and training lab members in equipment operation and research techniques; and perform other duties as requested.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs a variety of increasingly complex experimental protocols and procedures and assist in the design of new complex or unusual protocols and techniques.
- Keeps accurate and detailed records of experiments and results, and assist in identifying and troubleshooting of unexpected results.
- Orders laboratory supplies and supports laboratory operations.
- Maintains lab equipment and related records and may coordinate use of lab equipment.
- Assists in the operation of specialized equipment, as required by the area of research.
- Assists in preparation of data for publication and/or presentation at scholarly meetings.
- Observes and complies with safety standards and procedures.
- Orients research laboratory assistants or lower level research associates and undergraduate student researchers on day-today lab operations and routine procedures.
***IMPORTANT NOTE: Selected candidate MUST be available to work during emergencies on nights and weekends as needed.
- Bachelor of Science in biology, biochemistry, or related field required
- Masters Degree in related subject preferred
- One (1) year laboratory experience is required.
- Four (4) years’ specialized lab experience (which may include experience gained as an undergraduate) is preferred.
- Thorough understanding of research and broad knowledge of specific domain expertise for management of animal colonies.
- Strong organizational and communication skills and attention to detail.
- Budget management, supervisory, and project management experience.
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse group of people.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Working Title: Research Associate II - Smidt Heart Institute - Karlstaedt Lab
- Department: Heart Institute Operations
- Business Entity: Academic / Research
- City: Los Angeles
- Job Category: Academic/Research
- Job Specialty: Research Studies/Clinical Trials
- Position Type: Full-time
- Shift Length: 8 hour shift
- Shift Type: Day
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at Applicant_Accommodation@cshs.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu) and COVID-19. For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through April each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment, subject to medical exemption or religious accommodation. For the same reason, you may also be required to receive other vaccines such as COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Cedars-Sinai reserves the right to make modifications to its required list of vaccines as required by law and/or policy.Apply Now Apply Later
Hear From Our People
“I truly love what I do and I love being an employee and steward of Cedars-Sinai. I am here because Cedars-Sinai’s mission and goals align with my own personal values as an RN. I appreciate and value that all of the leadership (especially Sr. leadership) values each and every employee, that it is the frontline staff that truly makes the difference and how our patients are cared for on a day to day basis.”– Kimako D., since 2016
“I am a proud member of the Cedars-Sinai team…Cedars holds their employees in the highest regard offering bonus’, continuing education reimbursement, and much more to promote career advancement. I have been an employee for 10+ years and I love it!”– Kathryn G., since 2007
“I have been an oncology nurse for over 30 years. Cedars-Sinai offers the most up-to-date therapies available, so I get to learn every day.”– Ann S., since 2014
“One reason I enjoy being nurse leader at Cedars-Sinai is because there is support to reach your full potential and working at the top of your scope is encouraged. It is a great place to be innovative and to inspire!”– Courtnay C., since 2015
Discover all the ways Cedars-Sinai appreciates your efforts.