Principal Investigator, Akil Merchant, MD is searching for a Research Associate II to join the team!
When the work you do every single day has a crucial impact on the lives of others, every effort, every detail, and every second matters. This shared culture of happiness, passion, and dedication pulses through Cedars-Sinai, and it’s just one of the many reasons we rank as one of the top hospitals in the nation by U.S. News & World Report.
The Merchant Laboratory is studying how tumor cells interact with their microenvironment and how this interaction contributes to the development and maintenance of cancer.
Are you a hardworking and dedicated research professional?
When you join Cedars-Sinai, you become part of a team that is at the forefront of medical advancements and life-saving medical and scientific breakthroughs.
The Merchant lab seeks a Research Associate II with and interest in hematopoiesis, stem cell biology, and/or myeloproliferative diseases to join an NIH funded project examining the role of Hedgehog signaling in the bone marrow microenvironment. Studies in the lab make use of transgenic mouse models and primary patient samples. There will be additional opportunities to study patient samples from patients treated with hedgehog inhibitors. Studies of the bone marrow microenvironment will be enabled but the use of imaging mass cytometry/CyTOF. Imaging mass cytometry allows for highly multiplexed (35+ markers) imaging of immune and tumor cells, with spatial information and subcellular resolution making it the ideal technology for studying stem cells and immune cells in their cellular niches within the bone marrow.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Breeding, genotyping, blood sampling and bone marrow harvesting from transgenic mice.
- Apply standard molecular and cellular biology methods (RT-PCR, Western bloting, cell culture and transduction, expression profiling) to profile the hedgehog signaling pathway.
- Performs conjugations and validation of antibodies and other reagents used for mass cytometry work.
- Keeps accurate and detailed records of experiments and results, and assist in identifying and troubleshooting of unexpected results.
- Orders laboratory supplies and supports laboratory operations.
- Maintains lab equipment and related records and may coordinate use of lab equipment.
- Assists in the operation of specialized equipment and machinery including mass cytometry system.
- Assists in preparation of data for publication and/or presentation at scholarly meetings.
- Observes and complies with safety standards and procedures.
- Orients research laboratory assistants or lower level research associates and undergraduate student researchers on day-to-day lab operations and routine procedures.
- Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts degree in biological sciences.
Experience and Skillset:
- Two (2) years of laboratory or related research experience.
- Familiar with routine laboratory procedures, experimental protocols, and overall lab organization.
- Ability to work independently.
- Must have outstanding interpersonal, communication and organization skills and the ability to work across company disciplines and functional units, and computer application experience.
- Must possess computer skills to include, but not limited to, Excel and Word.
- Ability to simultaneously handle multiple clerical trials, and attention to details.
- Working Title: Research Associate II - Merchant Lab - Cancer Institute
- Department: Home Dept - Hem - Onc
- Business Entity: Academic / Research
- City: Los Angeles
- Job Category: Academic/Research
- Job Specialty: Research Studies/Clinical Trials
- Position Type: Full-time
- Shift Length: 8 hour shift
- Shift Type: Day
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at Applicant_Accommodation@cshs.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu). For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through March each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment.Apply NowApply Later