With your help, we can change the future of healthcare!
Cedars-Sinai is committed to pushing the frontiers of medicine and discovering new technologies and innovations that will change how we diagnose and treat disease. As an international leader in biomedical research, we translate discoveries into successful treatments with global impact.
Principal Investigator, David Underhill, PhD, is looking for a Research Associate II (RAII) to join the team!
The Underhill Laboratory is interested in understanding how our immune systems interact with bacteria and fungi that may cause disease, and how the immune system distinguishes these organisms from those that make up the microbiome. To learn more about Dr. Underhill's Lab, please visit: Underhill Research Lab | Cedars-Sinai (cedars-sinai.edu)
Working under direct supervision, as a RA II, perform routine and increasingly complex laboratory tasks and procedures and develops technical expertise in one or more areas relevant to research projects. The RA II participates in research activities involving all aspects of the research process, to include, but not limited to; investigation, technical, testing/validation of results, and report findings. Performs a variety of routine experimental protocols and procedures to support the objectives of laboratory research projects and will observe and comply with safety standards and procedures, assist in preparation of data for publication and/or presentation at scholarly meetings, and assist in general laboratory maintenance. This role does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in the design of new complex or unusual protocols and techniques.
- Keeps accurate and detailed records of experiments and results and assists in identifying and troubleshooting of unexpected results.
- Orders laboratory supplies and supports laboratory operations
- Maintains lab equipment and related records and may coordinate use of lab equipment.
- Assist in the operation of specialized equipment, as required by the area of research.
- Orients research laboratory assistants or lower level research associates and undergraduate student researchers on day-to-day lab operations and routine procedures.
Department Specific Responsibilities:
- Assist lab members in maintaining a safe laboratory working environment.
- Organize laboratory efforts to meet institutional compliance requirements.
- Assisting in managing mouse colonies and animal husbandry.
- Generating and organizing samples.
- Performing procedures that may include, among others, Immunoblots, DNA/RNA PCR, ELISA, cell culture
- Performing mouse procedures that may include, among others, Intraperitoneal (IP) injections, oral gavage, organ harvest, etc.
Minimum of a Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts degree in biological sciences, required.
Experience and Skillset:
- At least two (2) years of experience in area of research specialization.
- Understanding of general research objectives and familiarity with routine laboratory procedures, experimental protocols, and overall lab organization.
- Highly motivated, independently with superior interpersonal, communication, and strong organizational skills.
- Computer skills to include, but not limited to, Excel, Word, Access and PowerPoint.
- Ability to simultaneously manage multiple clerical trials, and attention to details.
- Working Title: Research Associate II - Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) - Underhill Lab
- Department: Home Dept - Gastroenterology
- Business Entity: Academic / Research
- City: Los Angeles
- Job Category: Academic/Research
- Job Specialty: Research Studies/Clinical Trials
- Position Type: Full-time
- Shift Length: 8 hour shift
- Shift Type: Day
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at Applicant_Accommodation@cshs.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu). For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through March each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment.Apply NowApply Later