Are you ready to be a part of breakthrough research?
Principal Investigator, John Yu, MD is looking for a Research Associate I to join the team!
When the work you do every single day has a crucial impact on the lives of others, every effort, every detail, and every second matters. This shared culture of happiness, passion, and dedication pulses through Cedars-Sinai, and it’s just one of the many reasons why we rank as one of the top hospitals in the nation by U.S. News & World Report.
The primary focus of the Yu Laboratory is immunotherapy for brain tumors, the cancer stem cell and its microenvironment in brain tumors, cancer stem cell–specific cytotoxic T lymphocytes, cancer stem cell signaling, the mechanism of cancer invasion, and targeted immunochemotherapy using nanotechnology. The Yu Lab has developed dendritic cell-vaccine-based immunotherapy for brain tumors that has led to multi-institutional, randomized placebo-controlled clinical trials. The lab has also identified cancer stem cells in glioblastoma and benign tumors.
About the Role
Working under direct supervision, the incumbent performs a variety of routine experimental protocols and procedures to support the objectives of one or more laboratory research projects in a specific area of research. Assists in general laboratory activities, including maintenance of reagents and stocking of supplies. Files and monitors documents. Keeps accurate and detailed records of experiments and results. Assists in the operation of specialized equipment and machinery. Observes safety standards and procedures. The RA I will be able to perform routine cellular, micro- and molecular biology procedures including, but not limited to Western, Northern blot, DNA/RNA, PCR, protein extraction, cell culture, Immunohistochemistry, and staining. This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Additionally, the RA I will:
- Assist in collecting experimental human tissue and data using an experimental system in OR;
- Maintain record of all experimental work;
- Manage experimental data generated in the lab;
- Ensure surgical equipment/devices are setup before the procedure and meet sterility and safety guidelines/policies;
- Ensure the laboratory is organized and meets health and safety guidelines.
Primary Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- May assist with animal husbandry.
- Maintains lab equipment and related records.
- Transports, processes and logs samples.
- Maintains computer database with relevant clinical information.
- Performs lab maintenance duties, including glassware cleaning and sterilization.
- Maintains stocks of general lab materials, and places orders for lab equipment and supplies.
- Assists new students and fellows at the laboratory.
- Observes and complies with safety standards and procedures.
- Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts degree in biological sciences, required.
Experience and Skillset:
- Understanding of general research objectives.
- Solid understanding of database management, personal computers, and presentation/imaging software.
- Familiar with routine laboratory procedures, experimental protocols, and overall lab organization.
- Computer literacy, specifically, with Excel and Word.
Position requires working with specialized equipment and computers for extended periods of time and the use of specialized laboratory equipment. Must be able to sit, stand and/or stoop for long periods of time. Must be able to lift at least 20 pounds and push the research prototype heavy cart.
- Working Title: Research Associate I - Yu Lab - Neurosurgery
- Department: Home Dept-Black
- Business Entity: Academic / Research
- City: Los Angeles
- Job Category: Academic/Research
- Job Specialty: Research Studies/Clinical Trials
- Position Type: Full-time
- Shift Length: 8 hour shift
- Shift Type: Full-time
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at Applicant_Accommodation@cshs.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu). For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through March each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment.Apply NowApply Later