Research Associate I - Smidt Heart Institute - Marban Lab
Los Angeles, California
Cedars-Sinai is a hub for biomedical research and a training center for future physicians and other healthcare professionals. By joining us in an academic role, you’ll be a part of formulating future ideas for discovery and then translating those discoveries into cures for the benefit and health of the Los Angeles community.
- Full-time & Per-Diem
- Level: Mid to Senior
- Travel: Minimal (if any)
- Glassdoor Reviews and Company Rating
What makes a successful Research Associate I - Smidt Heart Institute - Marban Lab at Cedars-Sinai? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
Discovery is central to Cedars-Sinai’s mission. Our laboratories and clinics generate ideas, therapies, devices, and systems that contribute to biomedical progress around the world. Cedars-Sinai’s investigators push the frontiers of biomedicine with studies in cardiac care, cancer, digestive health, the neurosciences, women’s health, and more. Cedars-Sinai’s robust academic enterprise shapes the experts who will help redefine medicine for the next generation.
ResponsibilitiesRequisition # HRC0721161
Working under direct supervision, as a Research Associate I, you will perform a variety of routine experimental protocols and procedures to support the objectives of one or more laboratory research projects in a specific area of research. Assists in general laboratory activities, including maintenance of reagents and stocking of supplies. Files and monitors documents. Keeps accurate and detailed records of experiments and results. Assists in the operation of specialized equipment and machinery. Observes safety standards and procedures. You will be able to perform routine cellular, micro- and molecular biology procedures including, but not limited to Western, Northern blot, DNA/RNA, PCR, protein extraction, cell culture, Immunohistochemistry, and staining. This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Will work independently providing study coordination including screening of potential research participants for protocol eligibility, presenting non-medical trial concepts and details, and participating in the informed consent process. Responsible for accurate and timely source documents, data collection, documentation, entry, and reporting including timely response to sponsor queries. Responsible for compiling and reporting on each study including information related to protocol activity, accrual data, workload, and other research information; presents this information at regular research staff meetings. Ensures compliance with all federal and local agencies including the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and local Institutional Review Board (IRB).
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs a variety of routine laboratory tasks and procedures.
- Keeps accurate and detailed project records of experiments and results.
- May assist with animal husbandry.
- Maintains lab equipment and related records.
- Transports, processes and logs samples.
- Maintains computer database with relevant clinical information.
- Performs lab maintenance duties, including glassware cleaning and sterilization.
- Maintains stocks of general lab materials, and places orders for lab equipment and supplies.
- Assists new students and fellows at the laboratory.
- Assists in the operation of specialized equipment and machinery.
- Observes and complies with safety standards and procedures.
DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Independent study coordination including screening of potential research participants for protocol eligibility, presenting non-medical trial concepts and details to the research participants, and participating in the informed consent process.
- Scheduling of research participants for research visits and procedures.
- In collaboration with the physician and other medical personnel, documents thoroughly on Case Report Forms (CRFs) the following; changes in research participant condition, adverse events, concomitant medication use, protocol compliance, response to study drug.
- Maintains accurate source documents related to all research procedures.
- Responsible for accurate and timely data collection, documentation, entry, and reporting including timely response to sponsor queries.
- Schedules and participates in monitoring and auditing activities.
- Responsible for compiling and reporting on each study including information related to protocol activity, accrual data, workload, and other research information; presents this information at regular research staff meetings.
- Notifies direct supervisor about concerns regarding data quality and study conduct. Independently works with external study monitors and/or auditors.
- Works closely with a regulatory coordinator or directly with the Institutional Review Board (IRB) to submit initial applications, amendments, continuing reviews, Adverse Events, Serious Adverse Events, protocol deviations, and Safety Letters in accordance with local and federal guidelines.
- May involve other regulatory / Institutional Review Board duties, budgeting duties, and assisting with research participant billing and reconciliation.
- May supervise Clinical Research Associates on data entry, data query and resolution.
- Ensures compliance with all federal and local agencies including the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and local Institutional Review Board.
- Maintains research practices using Good Clinical Practice (GCP) guidelines.
- Maintains strict research participant confidentiality according to HIPAA regulations and applicable law. Participates in required training and education programs.
- Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts Degree in biological sciences is required
- Understanding of general research objectives.
- Working knowledge of database management, personal computers, and presentation and imaging software.
- Understanding of general research objectives.
- Familiar with routine laboratory procedures and experimental protocols.
- Must possess computer skills to include, but not limited to, Excel and Word.
- Working Title: Research Associate I - Smidt Heart Institute - Marban Lab
- Department: Heart Institute Operations
- Business Entity: Academic / Research
- City: Los Angeles
- Job Category: Academic/Research
- Job Specialty: Research Studies/Clinical Trials
- Position Type: Full-time
- Shift Length: 8 hour shift
- Shift Type: Day
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at Applicant_Accommodation@cshs.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu) and COVID-19. For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through April each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment, subject to medical exemption or religious accommodation. For the same reason, you may also be required to receive other vaccines such as COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Cedars-Sinai reserves the right to make modifications to its required list of vaccines as required by law and/or policy.Apply Now Apply Later
Hear From Our People
“I truly love what I do and I love being an employee and steward of Cedars-Sinai. I am here because Cedars-Sinai’s mission and goals align with my own personal values as an RN. I appreciate and value that all of the leadership (especially Sr. leadership) values each and every employee, that it is the frontline staff that truly makes the difference and how our patients are cared for on a day to day basis.”– Kimako D., since 2016
“I am a proud member of the Cedars-Sinai team…Cedars holds their employees in the highest regard offering bonus’, continuing education reimbursement, and much more to promote career advancement. I have been an employee for 10+ years and I love it!”– Kathryn G., since 2007
“I have been an oncology nurse for over 30 years. Cedars-Sinai offers the most up-to-date therapies available, so I get to learn every day.”– Ann S., since 2014
“One reason I enjoy being nurse leader at Cedars-Sinai is because there is support to reach your full potential and working at the top of your scope is encouraged. It is a great place to be innovative and to inspire!”– Courtnay C., since 2015
Discover all the ways Cedars-Sinai appreciates your efforts.