Cedars-Sinai is committed to pushing the frontiers of medicine and discovering new technologies and innovations that will change how we diagnose and treat disease. As an international leader in biomedical research, we translate discoveries into successful treatments with global impact.
The Silm lab studies the mechanisms of neuromodulator release and the role of neurotransmitter co-release in brain function and information processing. We focus on dopamine neurons that release an additional neurotransmitter glutamate, with an aim to understand how the two transmitters are used to assure normal brain function in the regulation of reward processing and motor control.
Are you ready to be a part of breakthrough research?
Working under direct supervision, the RAI will work closely with PI and provide technical and administrative support in large or multi-project-oriented labs. Assists in general laboratory activities, including maintenance of reagents and stocking of supplies. Files and monitors documents. Keeps accurate and detailed records of experiments and results. Assists in the operation of specialized equipment and machinery. The Research Associate I may be requested by PI to take on specific supervisory activities, coordinating all lab activities with an emphasis on technical expertise as well as develop hypothesis and assist in planning steps for the investigative process.
Primary Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Mouse colony maintenance, including keeping track of breeding, animal numbers and physical condition.
- Will review and remain current on literature as it relates to clinical/research studies.
- Will perform genotyping, primary neuronal cultures, image analysis, molecular biology and histology.
- Monitor/ensure compliance with safety standards and procedures.
- Not responsible for generating grant funds.
- Performs a variety of routine laboratory tasks and procedures
- May assist with animal husbandry
- Maintains lab equipment and related records
- Transports, processes and logs samples
- Maintains computer database with relevant clinical information.
- Performs lab maintenance duties, including glassware cleaning and sterilization
- Maintains stocks of general lab materials, and places orders for lab equipment and supplies
- Assists new students and fellows at the laboratory
- Observes and complies with safety standards and procedures
Minimum of a Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts degree in biology, biochemistry, neuroscience or related field.
Experience and Skillset:
- Understanding of general research objectives and theoretical knowledge of molecular biology, cell biology and preferably neuroscience.
- Prior experience in general laboratory techniques is desirable, training in lab specific procedures will be provided on site.
- Working knowledge of database management, personal computers, and presentation and imaging software
- Must possess computer skills to include, but not limited to, Excel and Word.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, motivated to work as part of a team.
- Collect, record and organize experimental data with attention to detail.
- Working Title: Research Associate I - Silm Lab
- Department: BioMedical Science
- Business Entity: Academic / Research
- City: Los Angeles
- Job Category: Academic/Research
- Job Specialty: Research Studies/Clinical Trials
- Position Type: Full-time
- Shift Length: 8 hour shift
- Shift Type: Full-time
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at Applicant_Accommodation@cshs.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu). For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through March each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment.Apply NowApply Later