Principal Investigator, Lena Heung, MD, PhD is looking for a Research Associate to join her team!
The research of Lena Heung, MD, PhD, focuses on the roles of innate immune cells in the host response to respiratory fungal pathogens, in particular Cryptococcus neoformans. C. neoformans is an environmental fungus that can cause highly fatal lung and central nervous system infections in immunocompromised patients, including those with HIV/AIDS, cancer, solid organ transplantation and autoimmune conditions. The goal of Dr. Heung's research is to define the innate immune mechanisms that determine host outcomes after infection in order to facilitate the development of immunomodulatory therapies for susceptible patients.
Are you a passionate and dedicated research professional?
Working under direct supervision, as a Research Associate I, you will perform a variety of routine experimental protocols and procedures to support the objectives of one or more laboratory research projects in a specific area of research. Assists in general laboratory activities, including maintenance of reagents and stocking of supplies. Files and monitors documents and keeps accurate and detailed records of experiments and results. Will assist in the operation of specialized equipment and machinery and observe safety standards and procedures. You will be able to perform routine cellular, micro- and molecular biology procedures including, but not limited to Western, Northern blot, DNA/RNA, PCR, protein extraction, cell culture, Immunohistochemistry, and staining. This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs a variety of routine laboratory tasks and procedures.
- May assist with animal husbandry.
- Maintains lab equipment and related records.
- Transports, processes and logs samples.
- Maintains computer database with relevant clinical information.
- Performs lab maintenance duties, including glassware cleaning and sterilization.
- Maintains stocks of general lab materials, and places orders for lab equipment and supplies.
- Assists new students and fellows at the laboratory.
- Organize and maintain mouse lines specific to the lab of Dr. Lena Heung.
- Perform animal work including infections, injections, and tissue harvest as well as breeding, weaning, and genotyping of transgenic and knockout animals.
Other duties may include:
- Tissue culture, preparation of microbial cultures, ELISA, quantitative RT-PCR, flow cytometry, immunohistochemical and quantitative analysis of tissue samples, photography and computer cataloging of data as needed.
- Will assist other researchers as assigned.
Minimum of a Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts degree in biological sciences, required
Experience and Skillset:
- Understanding of general research objectives
- Working knowledge of database management, personal computers, and presentation and imaging software
- Familiar with routine laboratory procedures and experimental protocols.
- Must possess computer skills to include, but not limited to, Excel and Word.
- Working Title: Research Associate I - Infectious Disease - Heung Lab
- Department: Home Dept - Pulmonary
- Business Entity: Academic / Research
- City: Los Angeles
- Job Category: Academic/Research
- Job Specialty: Research Studies/Clinical Trials
- Position Type: Full-time
- Shift Length: 8 hour shift
- Shift Type: Day
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at Applicant_Accommodation@cshs.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu). For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through March each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment.Apply NowApply Later