- Information Technology
- Medical Network
Project Scientist - Turkson Lab - Cancer InstituteRequisition # 20001470 Apply Now
The Turkson Lab is a drug discovery and development research group of biologists and medicinal chemists. The lab runs a multi-disciplinary research operation that is focused on targeting cancer pathways, including the Signal Transducer and Activator of Transcription (STAT)3 signaling pathway, for the discovery and development of suitable small molecule and natural inhibitors as potential new anticancer therapeutics. Research interests also cover the application of small molecules and natural products as chemical probes to interrogate signaling pathways in cancer for mechanistic understanding.
The Project Scientist works independently and in cooperation with the Principal Investigator to make significant and creative contributions to a research or creative project in any academic discipline. The Project Scientist may be an ongoing member of a research team or may be employed for a limited period of time to contribute high-level skills to a specific research or creative program. Project Scientists are not required to carry out independent research or to develop an independent research reputation and do not have teaching responsibilities. Ordinarily, the Project Scientist title will carry out research or creative programs as well as administration of day-to-day lab operations with supervision by a member of the Professorial Series.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- List the primary duties and responsibilities in order of most significance.
- Works independently but in close cooperation and in consultation with the Principal Investigator and other scientists on and off campus.
- Supervises postdoctoral fellows and research technicians.
- Performs routine and complex laboratory procedures.
- Develops, adapts, and implements new research techniques and protocols.
- Participates in publications and presentations as author or co-author.
- May apply for research funding awards with a goal to transition to independent faculty. Assists in preparation of grant proposals for the Principal Investigator.
- Designs and performs experiments.
- Keeps appropriate experimental records and documentation and analyzes the results with the Principal Investigator.
- Demonstrates aptitude to perform experimental protocols and procedures, including details data collection, and analysis and operation and maintenance of specialized equipment.
- Manages lab and day-to-day operation.
PhD or highest degree in their field. Demonstrated significant, original, and creative contributions to a research or creative program or project Completion of postdoctoral appointment in area of specialization, as applicable.
- Knowledge of PI’s area of research specialization, including STAT signaling, and areas related to drug discovery.
- Highly demonstrated experience in STAT signaling in cancer, and STAT3 drug discovery, as evidenced by published work.
- Experience in STAT3 drug discovery research is preferred.
- Notable experience in managing a biomedical research lab.
- Demonstrated technical competency in a variety of research techniques and protocols.
- Over 12 years of post-graduate experience in biomedical research, with particular a focus on drug discovery research.
- Experience with IACUC protocols preferred.
- Working Title: Project Scientist - Turkson Lab - Cancer Institute
- Department: Home Dept - Hem - Onc
- Business Entity: Academic / Research
- City: Los Angeles
- Job Category: Academic/Research
- Job Specialty: Academic/Research Services
- Position Type: Full-time
- Shift Length: 8 hour shift
- Shift Type: Day
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at Applicant_Accommodation@cshs.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu). For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through March each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment.
About Our Location
Los Angeles, CaliforniaView Map