Postdoctoral Scientist - Underhill Lab - Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)
Los Angeles, California
Cedars-Sinai is a hub for biomedical research and a training center for future physicians and other healthcare professionals. By joining us in an academic role, you’ll be a part of formulating future ideas for discovery and then translating those discoveries into cures for the benefit and health of the Los Angeles community.
- Full-time & Per-Diem
- Level: Mid to Senior
- Travel: Minimal (if any)
- Glassdoor Reviews and Company Rating
What makes a successful Postdoctoral Scientist - Underhill Lab - Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) at Cedars-Sinai? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
Discovery is central to Cedars-Sinai’s mission. Our laboratories and clinics generate ideas, therapies, devices, and systems that contribute to biomedical progress around the world. Cedars-Sinai’s investigators push the frontiers of biomedicine with studies in cardiac care, cancer, digestive health, the neurosciences, women’s health, and more. Cedars-Sinai’s robust academic enterprise shapes the experts who will help redefine medicine for the next generation.
ResponsibilitiesRequisition # HRC0570480D
With your help, we can change the future of healthcare!
Cedars-Sinai is committed to pushing the frontiers of medicine and discovering new technologies and innovations that will change how we diagnose and treat disease. As an international leader in biomedical research, we translate discoveries into successful treatments with global impact.
Principal Investigator, David Underhill, PhD, is looking for a Postdoctoral Scientist to join the team!
A significant area of research in the Underhill Laboratory centers on understanding how the immune system interacts with commensal microbes in the gut. The laboratory studies the bacteria and fungi found in the gut and investigates the molecular and cellular mechanisms by which our immune systems respond to, contain, and are instructed by this microbiome. The laboratory makes use of human tissues, mouse models and in vitro cell culture-based approaches. To learn more about Dr. Underhill's Lab, please visit: Underhill Research Lab | Cedars-Sinai (cedars-sinai.edu)
Working independently but in close cooperation and in consultation with Dr. Underhill and other Research Scientists, the Postdoc will perform routine and complex laboratory procedures throughout training period. May develop, adapt, and implement new research techniques and protocols, analyze and interpret data, and assist in preparation of grant proposals. This dynamic group studies macrophage and dendritic cell biology, the bacterial and fungal gut microbiome, antimicrobial immune responses, and Inflammatory Bowel Disease (see Nature 472:47; Science 336:1314; Cell 166:624; Cell Host & Microbe 15:377). The successful candidate may study molecular mechanisms of interactions between microbes (fungi and bacteria) and phagocytes, or the role of the microbiome in influencing immune function and inflammatory diseases.
Primary Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- May assist in preparation of grant proposals, but is not responsible for generating grant funds.
- May participate in publications and presentations as author or co-author.
- Designs and performs experiments. Will keep appropriate experimental records and documentation and analyze the results with the Principal Investigator.
- Analyzes, interprets, summarizes and compiles data.
- Operates and maintains equipment and instruments.
- Develop figures, searches scientific literature, assists in writing manuscripts, and presents data at local and national meetings.
- Doctorate (MD, PhD, VMD, or DDS) in area directly related to field of research specialization, required.
- Recent PhD graduates (within 3 years of graduating) with a strong background in animal models of inflammation, microbiome studies, and/or macrophage biology, preferred.
Experience and Skillset:
- Acquires thorough technical and theoretical knowledge of research project and objectives during one to five (1-5) year post-doctoral appointment.
- Works independently on research projects designed by a mentor (typically the PI) within area of specialization.
- Demonstrated aptitude to perform experimental protocols and procedures, including detailed data collection, and analysis, and operation and maintenance of specialized equipment.
- Knowledge of safety standards and maintenance of specialized equipment.
- Skilled in primary and cell line cell culture, flow cytometry, mouse-handling, computational data handling and analysis is highly desirable.
- Proficient in molecular biology techniques such as plasmid DNA preparation, basic molecular biology-restriction enzyme digests, subcloning, and PCR.
- Experience with protein preparation, SDS-PAGE, Western blot analysis, RNA preparation, Northern blots, mammalian cell transfection, ELISA is preferred.
- Working Title: Postdoctoral Scientist - Underhill Lab - Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)
- Department: Home Dept - Gastroenterology
- Business Entity: Academic / Research
- City: Los Angeles
- Job Category: Academic/Research
- Job Specialty: Postdoctoral
- Position Type: Full-time
- Shift Length: 8 hour shift
- Shift Type: Day
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at Applicant_Accommodation@cshs.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu) and COVID-19. For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through April each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment, subject to medical exemption or religious accommodation. For the same reason, you may also be required to receive other vaccines such as COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Cedars-Sinai reserves the right to make modifications to its required list of vaccines as required by law and/or policy.Apply Now Apply Later
Hear From Our People
“I truly love what I do and I love being an employee and steward of Cedars-Sinai. I am here because Cedars-Sinai’s mission and goals align with my own personal values as an RN. I appreciate and value that all of the leadership (especially Sr. leadership) values each and every employee, that it is the frontline staff that truly makes the difference and how our patients are cared for on a day to day basis.”– Kimako D., since 2016
“I am a proud member of the Cedars-Sinai team…Cedars holds their employees in the highest regard offering bonus’, continuing education reimbursement, and much more to promote career advancement. I have been an employee for 10+ years and I love it!”– Kathryn G., since 2007
“I have been an oncology nurse for over 30 years. Cedars-Sinai offers the most up-to-date therapies available, so I get to learn every day.”– Ann S., since 2014
“One reason I enjoy being nurse leader at Cedars-Sinai is because there is support to reach your full potential and working at the top of your scope is encouraged. It is a great place to be innovative and to inspire!”– Courtnay C., since 2015
Discover all the ways Cedars-Sinai appreciates your efforts.