Postdoctoral Scientist - Sun Lab - Neurosurgery
Los Angeles, California
Cedars-Sinai is a hub for biomedical research and a training center for future physicians and other healthcare professionals. By joining us in an academic role, you’ll be a part of formulating future ideas for discovery and then translating those discoveries into cures for the benefit and health of the Los Angeles community.
- Full-time & Per-Diem
- Level: Mid to Senior
- Travel: Minimal (if any)
- Glassdoor Reviews and Company Rating
What makes a successful Postdoctoral Scientist - Sun Lab - Neurosurgery at Cedars-Sinai? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
Discovery is central to Cedars-Sinai’s mission. Our laboratories and clinics generate ideas, therapies, devices, and systems that contribute to biomedical progress around the world. Cedars-Sinai’s investigators push the frontiers of biomedicine with studies in cardiac care, cancer, digestive health, the neurosciences, women’s health, and more. Cedars-Sinai’s robust academic enterprise shapes the experts who will help redefine medicine for the next generation.
ResponsibilitiesRequisition # HRC0825847
When the work you do every single day has a crucial impact on the lives of others, every effort, every detail, and every second matters. This shared culture of happiness, passion, and dedication pulses through Cedars-Sinai, and it’s just one of the many reasons why we rank as one of the top hospitals in the nation by U.S. News & World Report.
If you're ready to be a part of breakthrough research, then we invite you to consider this exciting opportunity and apply today!
Principal Investigator, Tao Sun, PhD, is seeking a Postdoctoral Scientist to join the team!
Dysregulation of immune function is widely regarded as a key mechanism underlying many human diseases, and immunotherapy in recent years has been a game changer for the management of various conditions, especially in cancer. The primary focus of the Sun Laboratory is in developing an immunotherapeutic approach for the treatment of solid tumors (such as brain cancer) where current immunotherapies have seen little success.
To learn more about Dr. Tao Sun's laboratory, please visit the lab's website.
As a Postdoctoral Scientist, you will work independently, but in close cooperation and in consultation with your Principal Investigator and other Research Scientists. You will perform routine and complex laboratory procedures throughout training period. You will be working on two different but related projects, which are - 1) An Alzheimer's related project and 2) A macrophage-based immunotherapy development project for brain tumor treatment. Both projects are collaborative efforts with other institutions such as UC Irvine and Caltech in California, and both are very exciting and highly innovative.
Primary Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- May assist in preparation of grant proposals but is not responsible for generating grant funds.
- May participate in publications and presentations as author or co-author.
- Designs and performs experiments. Will keep appropriate experimental records and documentation and analyze the results with the Principal Investigator.
- May develop, adapt, and implement new research techniques and protocols.
- Analyzes, interprets, summarizes, and compiles data.
- Operates and maintains equipment and instruments.
Department-Specific Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs tasks related to molecular biology, such as RNA/DNA isolation, cDNA synthesis, PCR, gel electrophoresis, and RNA-seq data analysis. Gene/protein expression analysis by Western blot, ELISA and other immunoassays.
- Performs tasks related to animal work: routine mouse checkup and handling, mouse surgery, treatment.
- Performs tasks related to tissue collection, processing, and immunohistochemistry: tissue preservation and sectioning, immunostaining/IHC and optical imaging and microscopy.
- Performs tasks related to cell biology, such as tissue culture, flow cytometry, and FACS sorting.
- Develops and optimizes new assays and methods under limited supervision. Working with core facilities on complicated biological assays and data analysis.
- Archiving and recordkeeping for biological materials.
- Maintenance of general lab equipment and supplies.
***Occasional travel to work at collaborative institutions may be required.
- Doctorate (MD, PhD, VMD or DDS) in area directly related to field of research specialization, required.
- PhD or equivalent degree in Neuroscience, Pathology, Molecular Biology or Epigenetics, is highly preferred.
Experience and Skill Set:
- Experience in the neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, or other neuro-pathologies is preferred.
- Experience in sequencing (such as RNA-seq, ATAC-seq) or live animal manupulations (surgery, behavior test or imaging) is a plus!
- Highly motivated and works independently on research projects designed by a mentor (typically the PI) within area of specialization.
- Acquires thorough technical and theoretical knowledge of research project and objectives during one to five (1-5) year post-doctoral appointment.
Physical Demands: Willing and be able to handle mouse, tissue collection, and occasionally lift and transport 30-pound box using a cart. Must be able to lift at least 10 pounds as well as stand and sit for long periods using computer and other laboratory equipment.
- Working Title: Postdoctoral Scientist - Sun Lab - Neurosurgery
- Department: Home Dept-Black
- Business Entity: Academic / Research
- City: Los Angeles
- Job Category: Academic/Research
- Job Specialty: Postdoctoral
- Position Type: Full-time
- Shift Length: 8 hour shift
- Shift Type: Day
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at Applicant_Accommodation@cshs.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu) and COVID-19. For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through April each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment, subject to medical exemption or religious accommodation. For the same reason, you may also be required to receive other vaccines such as COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Cedars-Sinai reserves the right to make modifications to its required list of vaccines as required by law and/or policy.Apply Now Apply Later
Hear From Our People
“I truly love what I do and I love being an employee and steward of Cedars-Sinai. I am here because Cedars-Sinai’s mission and goals align with my own personal values as an RN. I appreciate and value that all of the leadership (especially Sr. leadership) values each and every employee, that it is the frontline staff that truly makes the difference and how our patients are cared for on a day to day basis.”– Kimako D., since 2016
“I am a proud member of the Cedars-Sinai team…Cedars holds their employees in the highest regard offering bonus’, continuing education reimbursement, and much more to promote career advancement. I have been an employee for 10+ years and I love it!”– Kathryn G., since 2007
“I have been an oncology nurse for over 30 years. Cedars-Sinai offers the most up-to-date therapies available, so I get to learn every day.”– Ann S., since 2014
“One reason I enjoy being nurse leader at Cedars-Sinai is because there is support to reach your full potential and working at the top of your scope is encouraged. It is a great place to be innovative and to inspire!”– Courtnay C., since 2015
Discover all the ways Cedars-Sinai appreciates your efforts.