Postdoctoral Scientist - Stripp Lab - Lung Institute
Los Angeles, California
Cedars-Sinai is a hub for biomedical research and a training center for future physicians and other healthcare professionals. By joining us in an academic role, you’ll be a part of formulating future ideas for discovery and then translating those discoveries into cures for the benefit and health of the Los Angeles community.
- Full-time & Per-Diem
- Level: Mid to Senior
- Travel: Minimal (if any)
- Glassdoor Reviews and Company Rating
What makes a successful Postdoctoral Scientist - Stripp Lab - Lung Institute at Cedars-Sinai? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
Discovery is central to Cedars-Sinai’s mission. Our laboratories and clinics generate ideas, therapies, devices, and systems that contribute to biomedical progress around the world. Cedars-Sinai’s investigators push the frontiers of biomedicine with studies in cardiac care, cancer, digestive health, the neurosciences, women’s health, and more. Cedars-Sinai’s robust academic enterprise shapes the experts who will help redefine medicine for the next generation.
ResponsibilitiesRequisition # HRC0869762
Are you looking to contribute to groundbreaking research? If your answer is 'yes', then we invite you to apply to this rewarding opportunity!
Cedars-Sinai offers scientists unparalleled access to cutting-edge technologies, facilities, and resources for conducting research related to an impressive range of diseases and disorders, from cancer, cardiology, and digestive diseases, to genetics, genomics, neurosciences, and women's health. You can continue your career journey with us!
Principal Investigator, Barry Stripp, PhD is looking for a Postdoctoral Scientist to join the team!
Overarching interests of the Stripp Laboratory are to define epithelial stem and progenitor cells that maintain the human lung, and to define mechanisms that regulate quiescence versus activation of these reparative cells and renewal versus differentiation in the setting of normal tissue maintenance and lung disease. To learn more about this important research work, please visit the Stripp Research Laboratory website.
Applicants should be self-motivated, highly proficient in laboratory-based investigation, and have an excellent working knowledge of the scientific method and its application to biomedical research.
As a Postdoctoral Scientist, you will be working independently but in close cooperation and in consultation with the Principal Investigator and other Research Scientist, and will perform routine and complex laboratory procedures throughout the training period. In this role, you may develop, adapt, and implement new research techniques and protocols to develop and test hypotheses. You may also prepare individual research fellowships and assist in preparation of research grant proposal.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- May assist in preparation of grant proposals, but is not responsible for generating grant funds.
- May participate in publications and presentations as author or co-author.
- Designs and performs experiments.
- Will keep appropriate experimental records and documentation, and analyze the results with the Principal Investigator.
- May develop, adapt, and implement new research techniques and protocols.
- Analyzes, interprets, summarizes and compiles data.
- Operates and maintains equipment and instruments.
Department-Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conducts and develop studies in lung injury/infection/inflammation-induced regeneration mechanisms from immunological aspect.
- Participates in publications and presentations as author and co-author.
- Develops and manage genetically-defined mouse models.
- Conducts basic research investigating the identity, fate and regulation of epithelial stem/progenitor cells in the mammalian lung.
- Develops in vitro culture assays to investigate epithelial progenitor cell fate and regulation.
- Must have familiarity with advanced omics approaches and associated bioinformatic analysis of data.
- Trains other laboratory personnel in the experimental use of mice in research.
- Presents research findings at national and international scientific meetings.
- Doctorate degree (MD, PhD, VMD, or DDS) in area directly related to field of research specialization is required.
- Works independently on research projects designed by a mentor (typically the PI) within area of specialization.
- Acquires thorough technical and theoretical knowledge of research project and objectives during one to five (1-5) year post-doctoral appointment.
- Demonstrated aptitude to perform experimental protocols and procedures, including detailed data collection, and analysis and operation and maintenance of specialized equipment.
- Knowledge of safety standards and maintenance of specialized equipment.
Able to perform moderate lifting. Able to sit, stand and walk for prolonged periods of time. Able to read papers and online documents. Able to operate standard office equipment. Able to exercise physical ability and perspective acuity to satisfactorily perform essential job functions.
- Working Title: Postdoctoral Scientist - Stripp Lab - Lung Institute
- Department: Home Dept - Pulmonary
- Business Entity: Academic / Research
- City: Los Angeles
- Job Category: Academic/Research
- Job Specialty: Postdoctoral
- Position Type: Full-time
- Shift Length: 8 hour shift
- Shift Type: Day
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at Applicant_Accommodation@cshs.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu) and COVID-19. For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through April each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment, subject to medical exemption or religious accommodation. For the same reason, you may also be required to receive other vaccines such as COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Cedars-Sinai reserves the right to make modifications to its required list of vaccines as required by law and/or policy.Apply Now Apply Later
Hear From Our People
“I truly love what I do and I love being an employee and steward of Cedars-Sinai. I am here because Cedars-Sinai’s mission and goals align with my own personal values as an RN. I appreciate and value that all of the leadership (especially Sr. leadership) values each and every employee, that it is the frontline staff that truly makes the difference and how our patients are cared for on a day to day basis.”– Kimako D., since 2016
“I am a proud member of the Cedars-Sinai team…Cedars holds their employees in the highest regard offering bonus’, continuing education reimbursement, and much more to promote career advancement. I have been an employee for 10+ years and I love it!”– Kathryn G., since 2007
“I have been an oncology nurse for over 30 years. Cedars-Sinai offers the most up-to-date therapies available, so I get to learn every day.”– Ann S., since 2014
“One reason I enjoy being nurse leader at Cedars-Sinai is because there is support to reach your full potential and working at the top of your scope is encouraged. It is a great place to be innovative and to inspire!”– Courtnay C., since 2015
Discover all the ways Cedars-Sinai appreciates your efforts.