Postdoctoral Scientist - Smidt Heart Institute - Piplani Lab
Los Angeles, California
Cedars-Sinai is a hub for biomedical research and a training center for future physicians and other healthcare professionals. By joining us in an academic role, you’ll be a part of formulating future ideas for discovery and then translating those discoveries into cures for the benefit and health of the Los Angeles community.
- Full-time & Per-Diem
- Level: Mid to Senior
- Travel: Minimal (if any)
- Glassdoor Reviews and Company Rating
What makes a successful Postdoctoral Scientist - Smidt Heart Institute - Piplani Lab at Cedars-Sinai? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
Discovery is central to Cedars-Sinai’s mission. Our laboratories and clinics generate ideas, therapies, devices, and systems that contribute to biomedical progress around the world. Cedars-Sinai’s investigators push the frontiers of biomedicine with studies in cardiac care, cancer, digestive health, the neurosciences, women’s health, and more. Cedars-Sinai’s robust academic enterprise shapes the experts who will help redefine medicine for the next generation.
ResponsibilitiesRequisition # HRC0879318
The laboratory of Dr. Honit Piplani is looking for a Postdoctoral Research Scientist to focus on studying the detailed mechanism of mitophagy and autophagy regulated by extracellular matrix proteins in cardiac diseases and pancreatitis. Research Fellow filling this exciting role, will perform routine and complex laboratory procedures throughout training period. You may develop, adapt, and implement new research techniques and protocols, analyze, and interpret data. You may assist in preparation of grant proposals, participate in publications and presentations as author or co-author.
A doctorate (Ph.D., M.D., or M.D./Ph.D.) in an area directly related to field of research specialization is necessary. You must have demonstrated an aptitude to plan and execute experimental protocols and procedures related to biochemistry and molecular biology. In this role, you will work independently on research projects in close cooperation your Principal Investigator and other lab members.
Working independently but in close cooperation and in consultation with the Principal Investigator and other Research Scientist, our Research Fellow will perform routine and complex laboratory procedures throughout training period and may develop, adapt, and implement new research techniques and protocols. Will analyze and interpret data and may assist in preparation of grant proposals. You will participate in publications and presentations as author or co-author. This position is not responsible for generating grant funds.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work independently on research projects within area of specialization.
- Design and perform routine and complex experiments.
- May develop, adapt, and implement new research techniques and protocols.
- Analyze, interpret, summarize and compile data.
- Perform routine and complex laboratory procedures throughout training period.
- Analysis of mitochondrial function, mitophagy and autophagy in diseased states.
- Keep detailed experimental records and documentation and analyze the results with the Principal Investigator.
- Participate in publications and presentations as author or co-author.
- Meet with PI on a regular basis to discuss research progress and plans.
- Present in lab meetings and conferences.
- Operate and maintain equipment and instruments.
- Doctorate (MD, PhD, VMD, or DDS) in area directly related to field of research specialization is required
- Works independently on research projects designed by a mentor (typically the PI) within area of specialization.
- Acquires thorough technical and theoretical knowledge of research project and objectives during one to five (1-5) year post-doctoral appointment.
- Demonstrated aptitude to perform experimental protocols and procedures, including detailed data collection, and analysis and operation and maintenance of specialized equipment.
- Knowledge of safety standards and maintenance of specialized equipment.
- Working Title: Postdoctoral Scientist - Smidt Heart Institute - Piplani Lab
- Department: Heart Institute Operations
- Business Entity: Academic / Research
- City: Los Angeles
- Job Category: Academic/Research
- Job Specialty: Postdoctoral
- Position Type: Full-time
- Shift Length: 8 hour shift
- Shift Type: Day
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at Applicant_Accommodation@cshs.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu) and COVID-19. For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through April each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment, subject to medical exemption or religious accommodation. For the same reason, you may also be required to receive other vaccines such as COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Cedars-Sinai reserves the right to make modifications to its required list of vaccines as required by law and/or policy.Apply Now Apply Later
Hear From Our People
“I truly love what I do and I love being an employee and steward of Cedars-Sinai. I am here because Cedars-Sinai’s mission and goals align with my own personal values as an RN. I appreciate and value that all of the leadership (especially Sr. leadership) values each and every employee, that it is the frontline staff that truly makes the difference and how our patients are cared for on a day to day basis.”– Kimako D., since 2016
“I am a proud member of the Cedars-Sinai team…Cedars holds their employees in the highest regard offering bonus’, continuing education reimbursement, and much more to promote career advancement. I have been an employee for 10+ years and I love it!”– Kathryn G., since 2007
“I have been an oncology nurse for over 30 years. Cedars-Sinai offers the most up-to-date therapies available, so I get to learn every day.”– Ann S., since 2014
“One reason I enjoy being nurse leader at Cedars-Sinai is because there is support to reach your full potential and working at the top of your scope is encouraged. It is a great place to be innovative and to inspire!”– Courtnay C., since 2015
Discover all the ways Cedars-Sinai appreciates your efforts.