Postdoctoral Scientist - Smidt Heart Institute - Goldhaber Lab
Los Angeles, California
Cedars-Sinai is a hub for biomedical research and a training center for future physicians and other healthcare professionals. By joining us in an academic role, you’ll be a part of formulating future ideas for discovery and then translating those discoveries into cures for the benefit and health of the Los Angeles community.
- Full-time & Per-Diem
- Level: Mid to Senior
- Travel: Minimal (if any)
- Glassdoor Reviews and Company Rating
What makes a successful Postdoctoral Scientist - Smidt Heart Institute - Goldhaber Lab at Cedars-Sinai? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
Discovery is central to Cedars-Sinai’s mission. Our laboratories and clinics generate ideas, therapies, devices, and systems that contribute to biomedical progress around the world. Cedars-Sinai’s investigators push the frontiers of biomedicine with studies in cardiac care, cancer, digestive health, the neurosciences, women’s health, and more. Cedars-Sinai’s robust academic enterprise shapes the experts who will help redefine medicine for the next generation.
ResponsibilitiesRequisition # HRC0709147
Postdoctoral research positions for motivated candidates are available in the laboratory of Joshua I. Goldhaber, M.D., Director of Basic Research Programs and Professor of Cardiology, in the Smidt Heart Institute at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, CA. The laboratory studies the role of intracellular calcium cycling in cardiac pacemaking, arrhythmia and excitation-contraction coupling in health and cardiac diseases such as Heart Failure with Preserved Ejection Fraction. The NIH-funded laboratory employs a variety of techniques including patch clamp, high resolution voltage and calcium mapping, fluorescence photometry, laser scanning confocal microsopy and various molecular techniques. The vibrant research program in the Smidt Heart Institute at Cedars-Sinai, in addition to our existing relationships with UCLA, provides excellent opportunities for career development in cardiac research and mentoring for postdoctoral researchers in preparation for careers in academia or industry. The laboratory URL can be found at: http://www.cedars-sinai.edu/Research/Research-Labs/Goldhaber/index.aspx
Working independently but in close cooperation and in consultation with the Principal Investigator and other Research Scientist, the Research Fellow will perform routine and complex laboratory procedures throughout training period. May develop, adapt, and implement new research techniques and protocols as well as analyze and interprets data. You may assist in preparation of grant proposals and participate in publications and presentations as author or co-author. This role will not be responsible for generating grant funds.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- May assist in preparation of grant proposals, but is not responsible for generating grant funds.
- May participate in publications and presentations as author or co-author.
- Designs and performs experiments. Will keep appropriate experimental records and documentation and analyze the results with the Principal Investigator.
- May develop, adapt, and implement new research techniques and protocols.
- Analyzes, interprets, summarizes and compiles data.
- Performs routine and complex laboratory procedures throughout training period.
- Operates and maintains equipment and instruments.
- Doctorate (MD, PhD, VMD, or DDS) in area directly related to field of research specialization is required
- Candidates must have an M.D. and/or Ph.D. in biophysics, biochemistry, physiology, molecular biology, or related field by the time they start their position.
- Demonstrated background in studies of ion channels or transporters regulating cardiac calcium cycling or cardiac pacemaking is required.
- Hands-on experience with calcium or voltage imaging or patch clamping in cardiac cells is required.
- Additional experience in molecular biology, cell culture techniques, and animal handling is a plus. We seek highly motivated and creative candidates with a track record in cardiovascular research who can independently design and execute experiments.
- Candidates must possess good command of both written and spoken English and are expected to write papers as well as applications for extramural funding.
- Applicants should have good organizational skills, and interact/collaborate well with other lab members. Interested individuals should apply by including curriculum vitae, statement of personal objectives, and names and contact information of three references.
- Working Title: Postdoctoral Scientist - Smidt Heart Institute - Goldhaber Lab
- Department: Heart Institute Operations
- Business Entity: Academic / Research
- City: Los Angeles
- Job Category: Academic/Research
- Job Specialty: Postdoctoral
- Position Type: Full-time
- Shift Length: 8 hour shift
- Shift Type: Day
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at Applicant_Accommodation@cshs.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu) and COVID-19. For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through April each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment, subject to medical exemption or religious accommodation. For the same reason, you may also be required to receive other vaccines such as COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Cedars-Sinai reserves the right to make modifications to its required list of vaccines as required by law and/or policy.Apply Now Apply Later
Hear From Our People
“I truly love what I do and I love being an employee and steward of Cedars-Sinai. I am here because Cedars-Sinai’s mission and goals align with my own personal values as an RN. I appreciate and value that all of the leadership (especially Sr. leadership) values each and every employee, that it is the frontline staff that truly makes the difference and how our patients are cared for on a day to day basis.”– Kimako D., since 2016
“I am a proud member of the Cedars-Sinai team…Cedars holds their employees in the highest regard offering bonus’, continuing education reimbursement, and much more to promote career advancement. I have been an employee for 10+ years and I love it!”– Kathryn G., since 2007
“I have been an oncology nurse for over 30 years. Cedars-Sinai offers the most up-to-date therapies available, so I get to learn every day.”– Ann S., since 2014
“One reason I enjoy being nurse leader at Cedars-Sinai is because there is support to reach your full potential and working at the top of your scope is encouraged. It is a great place to be innovative and to inspire!”– Courtnay C., since 2015
Discover all the ways Cedars-Sinai appreciates your efforts.