When the work you do every single day has a crucial impact on the lives of others, every effort, every detail, and every second matters. This shared culture of happiness, passion, and dedication pulses through Cedars-Sinai, and it’s just one of the many reasons why we rank as one of the top hospitals in the nation by U.S. News & World Report.
Are you ready to be a part of breakthrough research?
In this role, the Postdoctoral Scientist will be expected to work independently under the direction of the Principal Investigator (P.I.) and in close cooperation, as well as consultation, with other research staff.
Dr. Keith Syson Chan’s laboratory is seeking a postdoctoral scientist to conduct studies to characterize a newly-discovered metastatic niche [Nature Communications 10: 2131 (2019) https://rdcu.be/ciky8] and its interaction with other myeloid cells in the microenvironment to modulate metastatic lung colonization. This project builds on existing RNA seq profiling of tumor and niche cells from human patients and mouse models, with established in vivo metastatic patient-derived xenograft and syngeneic models, accessibility to state-of-the-art multiplex imaging and microfluidic systems to recreate 3D microenvironment in vitro, and other organoid models for investigating mechanism-based therapies.
Ideal applicant will be self-motivated and enthusiastic to interact with the team. We welcome new ideas to drive the project and expertise in the metastatic cascade or tumor microenvironment with FACS, 2D/3D culturing sytems and molecular biology techniques is highly preferred.
KS Chan lab is comprised of an interdisciplinary team https://www.research4cure.org, focusing on cancer research that can translate into early-phase clinical trials or biomarkers to impact patients. We integrate cutting edge single-cell technologies and various study models (e.g., patient-derived xenografts, syngeneic murine models, GEMM) to address key research questions spanning: i) cell death-induced non-classical mechanisms of therapeutic resistance, ii) primary tumor and metastatic niche, and iii) emerging immunologic concepts that impact tumor progression and immune checkpoint response.
To learn more:
- https://bio.cedars-sinai.org/chank3/index.html Cedars-Sinai Cancer ranks #7 in the nation
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- The design of research directions and experiments in cooperation with the mentor. Will keep appropriate experimental records and analyze the results with the PI.
- Explore literatures and state-of-the-art techniques relevant to the project.
- Compiling figures and text for the submission of publications and presentations as primary author or co-author.
- Highly encouraged to apply for fellowship or career transition grant application for career advancement.
- Participate and present at lab meetings, research-oriented interest groups, and attend departmental or cancer center seminar series
- Doctorate (MD, PhD, VMD, or DDS) in in biomedical sciences, cancer biology or immunology.
- Ph.D. or equivalent doctorate within previous three years
Please apply online AND send a cover letter/personal statement + CV to Dr. Chan @ KeithSyson.Chan@cshs.org
- Working Title: Postdoctoral Scientist – Metastatic Niche, Cancer Institute
- Department: Home Dept - Hem - Onc
- Business Entity: Academic / Research
- City: Los Angeles
- Job Category: Academic/Research
- Job Specialty: Postdoctoral
- Position Type: Full-time
- Shift Length: 8 hour shift
- Shift Type: Day
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at Applicant_Accommodation@cshs.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu). For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through March each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment.Apply NowApply Later