Dr. Keith Syson Chan’s laboratory is seeking a postdoctoral scientist to conduct studies to characterize a newly-discovered metastatic niche and its modulation of lung colonization, building on existing preliminary studies (RNA seq profiling of tumor and niche cells), tools and established metastatic models. The postdoctoral scientist will also investigate cancer stem cells and their interaction of the immune and stromal microenvironments.
Examples of the significant contributions in the field made by Dr. Chan’s lab are found in the following publications:
The postdoctoral scientist will work independently but in close cooperation and in consultation with the Principal Investigator and other Research Scientists. The postdoctoral scientist will perform routine and complex laboratory procedures throughout training period and may develop, adapt, and implement new research techniques and protocols. The postdoctoral scientist will be responsible for designing experiments, and assembeling data. He/she will analyze and interpret data, assist in preparation of grant proposals, and participate in publications and presentations as author or co-author. For eager postdoctoral scientists interested in applying for grant funding, mentorship will be provided, but there is no requirement for generating grant funding in this position.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- List the primary duties and responsibilities in order of most significance.
- May assist in preparation of grant proposals, but is not responsible for generating grant funds.
- Responsible for the designe of experiments in cooperation with the mentor.
- Responsible for compiling figures and text for the submission of publications and presentations as author or co-author.
- Designs and performs experiments. Will keep appropriate experimental records and documentation and analyze the results with the mentor.
- May develop, adapt, and implement new research techniques and protocols.
- Operates and maintains equipment and instruments.
Department and/or Unit Specific – Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Characterizes a newly-discovered metastatic niche and its modulation of lung colonization.
- Builds on existing preliminary studies (RNA seq profiling of tumor and niche cells), tools and established metastatic models.
- Investigates cancer stem cells and their interaction of the immune and stromal microenvironments.
- Investigates the immune microenvironment in modulating bladder cancer progression and therapeutic response.
- Works independently on research projects designed by a mentor (typically the PI) within area of specialization.
- Acquires thorough technical and theoretical knowledge of research project and objectives during one to five (1-5) year post-doctoral appointment.
- Experience as a first author in one or more publications on impactful body of work.
- Demonstrable laboratory experience (1-4 years) in drug discovery and natural products research, in vivo mouse work, antitumor efficacy, and pharmacology, with some experience in molecular biology, tumor cell biology, microbiology, and protein purification and production.
- Demonstrated aptitude to perform experimental protocols and procedures, including detailed data collection, and analysis and operation and maintenance of specialized equipment.
- Knowledge of safety standards and maintenance of specialized equipment.
- Ability to function in a team environment and use interpersonal skills to communicate effectively.
- Doctorate (MD, PhD, VMD, or DDS) in in biomedical sciences, pharmacology, or an area directly related to field of research specialization, with demonstrable laboratory experience in drug discovery and natural products research, and in vivo mouse models for antitumor efficacy and pharmacology.
For immediate consideration please apply and email your CV/Resume to: email@example.com with subject line: Postdoctoral Scientist
- Working Title: Postdoctoral Scientist - Keith Syson Chan Lab
- Department: Home Dept - Hem - Onc
- Business Entity: Academic / Research
- City: Los Angeles
- Job Category: Academic/Research
- Job Specialty: Postdoctoral
- Position Type: Full-time
- Shift Length: 8 hour shift
- Shift Type: Day
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at Applicant_Accommodation@cshs.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu). For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through March each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment.Apply NowApply Later