Postdoctoral Scientist - Immunology Research
Los Angeles, California
Cedars-Sinai is a hub for biomedical research and a training center for future physicians and other healthcare professionals. By joining us in an academic role, you’ll be a part of formulating future ideas for discovery and then translating those discoveries into cures for the benefit and health of the Los Angeles community.
- Full-time & Per-Diem
- Level: Mid to Senior
- Travel: Minimal (if any)
- Glassdoor Reviews and Company Rating
What makes a successful Postdoctoral Scientist - Immunology Research at Cedars-Sinai? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
Discovery is central to Cedars-Sinai’s mission. Our laboratories and clinics generate ideas, therapies, devices, and systems that contribute to biomedical progress around the world. Cedars-Sinai’s investigators push the frontiers of biomedicine with studies in cardiac care, cancer, digestive health, the neurosciences, women’s health, and more. Cedars-Sinai’s robust academic enterprise shapes the experts who will help redefine medicine for the next generation.
ResponsibilitiesRequisition # 20000746B
The Merchant lab applies cutting edge immune profiling modalities to study the immune system in patients with hematologic malignancies. We are looking for an immunologist with an interest in translational medicine to lead laboratory studies related to clinical trials that are currently in progress and to help design appropriate laboratory correlates for clinical trials that are being planned. In particular, we are interested in understanding the function of NK and T cell biology in the context of allogeneic bone marrow transplant, adoptive cell transfer, CART cells, bi-specific immune cell engagers (BiTE), and oncolytic virus therapy. Our lab runs the imaging mass cytometry/CyTOF core facility at Cedars-Sinai. Imaging mass cytometry allows for highly multiplexed (35+ markers) imaging of immune and tumor cells, with spatial information and subcellular resolution. Imaging mass cytometry can be applied to all tissue types including cell lines, organoid, frozen section and FFPE fixed archival tissue. The lab also has projects that test immune therapies in xenograft models of human tumor and transgenic mouse models that would offer opportunities to perform mechanistic studies related to tumor immunology. Collaborations with other investigators at Cedars-Sinai allows access to single cell RNAseq, mass spec proteomics, and metabolic studies of immune cells.
To learn more about the Merchant Lab:
To learn more about the Merchant Lab:https://www.cedars-sinai.org/research/labs/merchant.html
In addition the Postdoctoral Scientist will be responsible for the following:
- Designs and performs experiments. Will keep appropriate experimental records and documentation and analyze the results with the Principal Investigator.
- Will assist in preparation of grant proposals, but is not responsible for generating grant funds. Will be encouraged to apply for fellowships as part of career development
- Will participate in publications and presentations as author or co-author.
- Will develop, adapt, and implement new research techniques and protocols.
- May develop, adapt, and implement new research techniques and protocols.
- Analyzes, interprets, summarizes and compiles data.
- Performs routine and complex laboratory procedures throughout training period.
- Operates and maintains equipment and instruments.
- Doctorate (MD, PhD, VMD, or DDS) in area directly related to field of research specialization. Graduate work with a focus on immunology, tumor immunology and/or NK cell biology.
- Works independently on research projects designed by a mentor (typically the PI) within area of specialization.
- Acquires thorough technical and theoretical knowledge of research project and objectives during one to five (1-5) year post-doctoral appointment.
- Prior work with adoptive cell transfer, CART work, iPS derived immune cells
- Experience with high dimension flow cytometry or CyTOF
- Experience with single cell RNAseq
- Experience with multiplex image (IHC or IF) analysis
- Working Title: Postdoctoral Scientist - Immunology Research
- Department: Home Dept - Hem - Onc
- Business Entity: Academic / Research
- City: Los Angeles
- Job Category: Academic/Research
- Job Specialty: Postdoctoral
- Position Type: Full-time
- Shift Length: 8 hour shift
- Shift Type: Day
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at Applicant_Accommodation@cshs.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu) and COVID-19. For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through April each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment, subject to medical exemption or religious accommodation. For the same reason, you may also be required to receive other vaccines such as COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Cedars-Sinai reserves the right to make modifications to its required list of vaccines as required by law and/or policy.Apply Now Apply Later
Hear From Our People
“I truly love what I do and I love being an employee and steward of Cedars-Sinai. I am here because Cedars-Sinai’s mission and goals align with my own personal values as an RN. I appreciate and value that all of the leadership (especially Sr. leadership) values each and every employee, that it is the frontline staff that truly makes the difference and how our patients are cared for on a day to day basis.”– Kimako D., since 2016
“I am a proud member of the Cedars-Sinai team…Cedars holds their employees in the highest regard offering bonus’, continuing education reimbursement, and much more to promote career advancement. I have been an employee for 10+ years and I love it!”– Kathryn G., since 2007
“I have been an oncology nurse for over 30 years. Cedars-Sinai offers the most up-to-date therapies available, so I get to learn every day.”– Ann S., since 2014
“One reason I enjoy being nurse leader at Cedars-Sinai is because there is support to reach your full potential and working at the top of your scope is encouraged. It is a great place to be innovative and to inspire!”– Courtnay C., since 2015
Discover all the ways Cedars-Sinai appreciates your efforts.