Postdoctoral Scientist - Ho Lab - Biomedical SciencesRequisition # 20002192 Apply Now
Are you a recent Doctoral graduate with an interest in Biomedical Sciences? Join the Cedars-Sinai team as a Postdoctoral Research Scientist!
The laboratory of Dr. Ritchie Ho is recruiting a Postdoctoral Scientist who shares our research interests in modeling age-related diseases, particularly in neurodegenerative conditions such as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and Huntington’s disease. The Ho Lab aims to develop faithful models of late-onset diseases using human induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs) and in vivo, animal models by understanding and recapitulating how genetic and environmental conditions causing disease in older adults interact with intrinsic cellular aging pathways. The current goals of the lab are to 1) map the intersection of tissue and cell type-specific maturation and aging signatures to neurodegenerative signatures, 2) delineate conserved and divergent gene expression networks among human and rodent species, and 3) engineer strategies that can accelerate maturation, aging, and late-onset disease readouts in all systems. Faithful aging models will advance the development of predictive diagnostics and preventive therapies for individual patients predisposed to these diseases. To learn more about the Ho Lab, please visit: https://ritchieholab.com. We are a newly appointed research group in the Center for Neural Sciences and Medicine at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, California, with joint appointments in the Board of Governors Regenerative Medicine Institute, the Departments of Biomedical Sciences, and Neurology. We regularly collaborate with other scientists in academia as well as industry to increase the impact of our work as well as foster future professional networks.
Through close collaboration with Dr. Ho, the successful candidate will lead research projects by keeping abreast of relevant scientific literature, designing studies, conducting complex experiments, recording data, performing analyses, drawing conclusions, producing manuscripts, delivering presentations, and participating in meetings.
Although not required, assistance in writing grants, managing award expenditures, and teaching colleagues through didactic coursework or one-on-one mentorship are among the many training opportunities available through this role. Scheduling flexibility to include evening, weekend and holiday shifts, maintenance of general and specialized lab equipment, and ability to travel may be required.
Project-relevant activities may include:
- Mammalian tissue cultures, specifically the maintenance and directed differentiation of human and mouse pluripotent stem cells
- Cytological and histological analysis through microscopy
- Molecular biology experiments including bacterial cell culture, nucleic acid and protein extraction, cloning, library preparation for next generation sequencing, computational processing and analysis of genome scale data including bulk and single-cell or single-nucleus ATAC-seq, ChIP-seq, RNA-seq, or proteomics
- Occasional assistance with mouse handling, colony maintenance, behavioral analysis, and necropsy may be required, as well as molecular and histological analysis of mouse and human postmortem tissue
- The scientist will receive all necessary training and approval documented in IACUC and IRB protocols.
- Doctorate (MD or PhD) in Molecular, Cell, Computational Biology, or a related discipline from an accredited institution.
- Ideal candidates will have experience in one or more of the following domains: stem cell culture, biochemistry, molecular biology, histology, electrophysiology, microscopy, animal behavior, next generation sequencing, multivariate statistics, machine learning, and programming (e.g. R, python, SQL).
- Training opportunities in other experimental and analytical skill sets abound.
- Working Title: Postdoctoral Scientist - Ho Lab - Biomedical Sciences
- Department: Biomedical Sciences Admin
- Business Entity: Academic / Research
- City: Los Angeles
- Job Category: Academic/Research
- Job Specialty: Postdoctoral
- Position Type: Full-time
- Shift Length: 8 hour shift
- Shift Type: Day
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at Applicant_Accommodation@cshs.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu). For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through March each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment.
About Our Location
Los Angeles, CaliforniaView Map