Cedars-Sinai Cancer is committed to pursuing pioneering research into disease mechanism, diagnostic innovations and new technologies and resources. Through our historic achievements, growing research enterprise, and serving one of the most diverse regions in the world, our physicians and scientists are uniquely positioned to guide the next generation of progress against the disease.
Join our team and use your expertise with an organization known nationally for excellence in cancer research.
The Merchant lab seeks a post-doctoral fellow with an interest in hematopoiesis, stem cell biology, and/or myeloproliferative diseases to join an NIH funded project examining the role of Hedgehog signaling in the bone marrow microenvironment. Studies in the lab make use of transgenic mouse models and primary patient samples. There will be additional opportunities to study patient samples from patients treated with hedgehog inhibitors. Studies of the bone marrow microenvironment will be enabled but the use of imaging mass cytometry/CyTOF. Imaging mass cytometry allows for highly multiplexed (35+ markers) imaging of immune and tumor cells, with spatial information and subcellular resolution making it the ideal technology for studying stem cells and immune cells in their cellular niches within the bone marrow. Imaging mass cytometry can be applied to all tissue types including cell lines, organoids, frozen section and FFPE fixed archival tissue.
- Perform experiments with transgenic mice including breeding, genotyping, blood sampling and bone marrow harvesting.
- Apply standard molecular and cellular biology methods (RT-PCR, Western bloting, cell culture and transduction, expression profiling) to profile the hedgehog signaling pathway.
- Use imaging mass cytometry to study the bone marrow microenvironment and stromal cell changes in animal models of myelofibrosis and in patient samples.
- Will assist in preparation of grant proposals, but is not responsible for generating grant funds. Will be encouraged to apply for fellowships as part of career development
- Will participate in publications and presentations as author or co-author.
- May train and supervise laboratory assistants and/or graduate students
- Designs and performs experiments. Will keep appropriate experimental records and documentation and analyze the results with the Principal Investigator.
- May develop, adapt, and implement new research techniques and protocols.
- Analyzes, interprets, summarizes and compiles data.
- Performs routine and complex laboratory procedures throughout training period.
- Operates and maintains equipment and instruments.
Doctorate (MD, PhD, VMD, or DDS) in area directly related to field of research specialization.
- Works independently on research projects designed by a mentor (typically the PI) within area of specialization.
- Acquires thorough technical and theoretical knowledge of research project and objectives during one to five (1-5) year post-doctoral appointment.
- Demonstrated aptitude to perform experimental protocols and procedures, including detailed data collection, and analysis and operation and maintenance of specialized equipment.
- Working Title: Postdoctoral Scientist - Dr. Merchant Lab
- Department: Home Dept - Hem - Onc
- Business Entity: Academic / Research
- City: Los Angeles
- Job Category: Academic/Research
- Job Specialty: Postdoctoral
- Position Type: Full-time
- Shift Length: 8 hour shift
- Shift Type: Day
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at Applicant_Accommodation@cshs.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu). For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through March each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment.Apply NowApply Later