- Search Jobs
Choose Your Area Of Interest
Postdoctoral Scientist - Dr. Baloh's Lab, Neurodegenerative DiseasesRequisition # 18002072 Apply Now
For more information about Dr. Robert Baloh's Lab, please follow this link:
Postdoctoral position available to study the molecular mechanisms of neurodegeneration with focus on mitochondrial function and dynamics and their role in axonal and cellular integrity. This is an excellent opportunity to work with a multidisciplinary group of neurologists, molecular biologists and neurogeneticists interested in understanding neurodegeneration with the goal of developing therapies. The primary focus of the candidate will be studying molecular mechanisms of neurodegeneration resulting from altered mitochondrial dynamics, which impacts a range of diseases including inherited neuropathy, motor neuron disease/ALS, Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s disease.
Candidate should have experience with:
- Broad range of techniques including molecular biology and genetic engineering, mitochondrial analysis and live cell imaging, tissue culture including iPSC differentiation, transcriptomic analysis, and disease modeling in rodents.
- Working independently but in close cooperation and in consultation with the Principal Investigator and other Research Scientists, will perform routine and complex laboratory procedures throughout their training period.
- Developing, adapting, and implementing new research techniques and protocols and analyzing and interpreting data.
- Participating in publications and presentations as author or co-author and they may assist in the preparation of grant proposals.
Expectations and Job Duties:
- May assist in preparation of grant proposals, but is not responsible for generating grant funds.
- Participate in publications and presentations as author or co-author.
- Designs and performs experiments. Will keep appropriate experimental records and documentation and analyze the results with the Principal Investigator.
- May develop, adapt, and implement new research techniques and protocols.
- Analyzes, interprets, summarizes and compiles data.
- Performs routine and complex laboratory procedures throughout training period.
- Operates and maintains equipment and instruments.
- Participation in laboratory meetings, keeping a lab notebook, performing calculations, tabulating data, summarizing methods and results of related experiments and general lab maintenance will be required.
- The individual will be expected to function efficiently and cooperatively with a team of faculty, research associates, technicians and students.
- Scheduling flexibility including evening, weekend and holiday rotation commitment is required.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills are essential. Travel may be required.
- Doctorate (MD, PhD, VMD or DDS) in an area directly related to the field of research specialization
- Independently works on research projects designed by a mentor (typically the PI) within an area of specialization.
- Acquires thorough technical and theoretical knowledge of research project and objectives during one to five (1-5) year post-doctoral appointment.
- Demonstrated aptitude to perform experimental protocols and procedures, including detailed data collection, and analysis and operation and maintenance of specialized equipment.
- Knowledge of safety standards and maintenance of specialized equipment.
- Lifting, standing, walking
- Working Title: Postdoctoral Scientist - Dr. Baloh's Lab, Neurodegenerative Diseases
- Department: Regenerative Medicine Inst
- Business Entity: Academic / Research
- City: Los Angeles
- Job Category: Academic / Research
- Job Specialty: Postdoctoral
- Position Type: Full-time
- Shift Length: 8 hour shift
- Shift Type: Day
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at Applicant_Accommodation@cshs.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu). For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through March each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment.
About Our Location
Los Angeles, CaliforniaView Map