Postdoctoral Scientist (Computational Neuroscience/Biophysics research experience) - Anastassiou & Rutishauser Labs - Department of Neurosurgery
Los Angeles, California
Cedars-Sinai is a hub for biomedical research and a training center for future physicians and other healthcare professionals. By joining us in an academic role, you’ll be a part of formulating future ideas for discovery and then translating those discoveries into cures for the benefit and health of the Los Angeles community.
- Full-time & Per-Diem
- Level: Mid to Senior
- Travel: Minimal (if any)
- Glassdoor Reviews and Company Rating
What makes a successful Postdoctoral Scientist (Computational Neuroscience/Biophysics research experience) - Anastassiou & Rutishauser Labs - Department of Neurosurgery at Cedars-Sinai? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
Discovery is central to Cedars-Sinai’s mission. Our laboratories and clinics generate ideas, therapies, devices, and systems that contribute to biomedical progress around the world. Cedars-Sinai’s investigators push the frontiers of biomedicine with studies in cardiac care, cancer, digestive health, the neurosciences, women’s health, and more. Cedars-Sinai’s robust academic enterprise shapes the experts who will help redefine medicine for the next generation.
ResponsibilitiesRequisition # HRC0568638A
When the work you do every single day has a crucial impact on the lives of others, every effort, every detail, and every second matters. This shared culture of happiness, passion, and dedication pulses through Cedars-Sinai, and it’s just one of the many reasons why we rank as one of the top hospitals in the nation by U.S. News & World Report.
If you're ready to be a part of breakthrough research, then we invite you to consider this exciting opportunity and apply today!
The Department of Neurosurgery is committed to bringing the best and brightest minds together to advance care for cancer, Alzheimer's disease and Parkinson's disease, among other challenging health issues.
A Postdoctoral Scientist position in computational neuroscience and biophysics of human cortical processing is open for a joint computational project between the teams of Costas Anastassiou, PhD, and Ueli Rutishauser, PhD. The Anastassiou team employs multi-modal, single-cell investigations in human circuits to understand cortical function and dysfunction as occurring in diseases like epilepsy. The Rutishauser lab investigates the mechanisms of learning, memory, and decision-making with a particular interest in the human brain at the single-neuron level.
In this role, you will be an essential team member in our ongoing effort to understand human brain function spanning across spatiotemporal scales. The core responsibility for this position is to set-up computational simulations and data analysis workflows from slice and in vivo brain physiology in humans.
More specifically, this position will be responsible for the following:
- Design and conduct biophysical simulations with an existing computational framework allowing simulation of reconstructed, interconnected and biophysically realistic human neurons (e.g. [Reimann, Anastassiou et al, Neuron, 2013; Nandi et al, bioarxiv, 2020].
- Analyze simulated and experimental data using state-of-the-art statistical analyses to establish structure-function relationships (e.g. [Mosher, Wei et al, Cell Reports, 2020]).
- Compare computational findings with experimental observables to deduce biophysical principles of high-level functioning [Minxha et al, Science, 2021]. Of particular interest will be how cellular, cell type and whole circuit functioning is manifested in the extracellular field in humans.
Primary Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- In close collaboration with theoreticians and experimental colleagues, design, implement and conduct single-neuron and network simulations of human neurons.
- Contribute to ongoing efforts in computational framework development (simulation and data analysis) as well as to scientific questions relevant to the system under investigation.
- Contribute to adjacent projects related to human pathophysiology and neurotherapies.
- Publish/present findings in peer-reviewed journals/scientific conferences.
- Prepare written and oral reports.
- Maintain clear and accurate communication with supervisor, team members and external collaborators.
- Works independently on research projects designed by PI within area of specialization.
- Doctorate (MD, PhD, VMD or DDS) in area directly related to field of research specialization, required.
- PhD degree in computational neuroscience, physics, applied mathematics, bioengineering or related field, highly preferred.
Experience and Skillset:
- Strong background in scientific computing; experience in computational neuroscience is preferred, but other strong applicants will be considered (with background in computational physics, applied mathematics, biophysics, and related disciplines).
- Experience with parallel computing is a plus as well as familiarity with high-level programming languages such as Python or Matlab.
- Familiarity with in vitro and in vivo electrophysiological monitoring techniques and analysis.
- Acquires strong technical and theoretical knowledge of research project and objectives during one to five (1-5) year post-doctoral appointment.
- Demonstrated aptitude to perform experimental protocols and procedures, including detailed data collection, analysis, operation, knowledge of safety standards and maintenance of specialized equipment.
- Ability to meet aggressive timelines and deliverables in a collaborative environment.
- Strong publication record.
- Experience in pursuing research projects in collaborative fashion.
- Proven independent thinking and flexibility.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
Able to perform moderate lifting. Able to sit, stand and walk for prolonged periods of time. Able to read papers and online documents. Able to operate standard office equipment. Able to exercise physical ability and perspective acuity to satisfactorily perform essential job functions.
- Working Title: Postdoctoral Scientist (Computational Neuroscience/Biophysics research experience) - Anastassiou & Rutishauser Labs - Department of Neurosurgery
- Department: Home Dept-Black
- Business Entity: Academic / Research
- City: Los Angeles
- Job Category: Academic/Research
- Job Specialty: Postdoctoral
- Position Type: Full-time
- Shift Length: 8 hour shift
- Shift Type: Day
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at Applicant_Accommodation@cshs.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu) and COVID-19. For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through April each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment, subject to medical exemption or religious accommodation. For the same reason, you may also be required to receive other vaccines such as COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Cedars-Sinai reserves the right to make modifications to its required list of vaccines as required by law and/or policy.Apply Now Apply Later
Hear From Our People
“I truly love what I do and I love being an employee and steward of Cedars-Sinai. I am here because Cedars-Sinai’s mission and goals align with my own personal values as an RN. I appreciate and value that all of the leadership (especially Sr. leadership) values each and every employee, that it is the frontline staff that truly makes the difference and how our patients are cared for on a day to day basis.”– Kimako D., since 2016
“I am a proud member of the Cedars-Sinai team…Cedars holds their employees in the highest regard offering bonus’, continuing education reimbursement, and much more to promote career advancement. I have been an employee for 10+ years and I love it!”– Kathryn G., since 2007
“I have been an oncology nurse for over 30 years. Cedars-Sinai offers the most up-to-date therapies available, so I get to learn every day.”– Ann S., since 2014
“One reason I enjoy being nurse leader at Cedars-Sinai is because there is support to reach your full potential and working at the top of your scope is encouraged. It is a great place to be innovative and to inspire!”– Courtnay C., since 2015
Discover all the ways Cedars-Sinai appreciates your efforts.