Principal Investigator, Simon Knott, PhD is looking for a Postdoctoral Scientist to join the team!
The Cedars-Sinai Center for Bioinformatics and Functional Genomics (CBFG) is an integrated, interdisciplinary research group with the common goal of developing end-to-end research workflows for genomic and high-throughput functional analysis of patient samples. The primary goals of the CBFG are to establish a research nexus that integrates leading-edge developments in computational sciences, next-generation genomics and epigenomics, and to use functional biology to improve our understanding of disease etiology applied to personalized health.
The Knott laboratory at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, California is searching for a computational postdoctoral scientist to develop and apply tools for digital histopathology. This scientist will lead the data analyses portion of our studies of breast cancer clinical trial materials, where we are studying the cellular relationships and the spatial distributions of distinct cell types within tumors that impact the course of the disease. One of our favored spatial profiling tools it the Co-detection by Indexing (CODEX) platform housed within our laboratory. However, we also utilize other spatial profiling methodologies paired with traditional single cell sequencing to study tissues. To learn more, please visit: Knott Research Lab | Cedars-Sinai.
Are you ready to be a part of breakthrough research?
Join us for an opportunity to leverage your quantitative skillset and apply machine learning, graph theory and statistical inference to improve the lives of patients. Working independently but in close cooperation and in consultation with Dr. Knott and other Research Scientists, the Postdoc will perform routine and complex laboratory procedures throughout training period. May develop, adapt, and implement new research techniques and protocols, analyze and interpret data.
Primary Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- May assist in preparation of grant proposals, but is not responsible for generating grant funds.
- May participate in publications and presentations as author or co-author.
- Designs and performs experiments. Will keep appropriate experimental records and documentation and analyze the results with the Principal Investigator.
- Analyzes, interprets, summarizes and compiles data.
- Operates and maintains equipment and instruments.
Doctorate Degree in Computer Sciences, Mathematics, Statistics or Physics, required.
Experience and Skillset:
- Acquires thorough technical and theoretical knowledge of research project and objectives during one to five (1-5) year post-doctoral appointment.
- Ability to be comfortable in an HPC or Cloud environment and have a graduate level understanding of statistics, probability and algorithms.
- Proven background developing and applying algorithms to study complex multidimensional datasets that have spatial context.
- Knowledge of single cell sequencing technologies is a plus, but not required.
- First or senior author publications describing development and application of relevant computational tools for studying high-dimensional spatial datatype's.
- Works independently on research projects designed by a mentor (typically the PI) within area of specialization.
- Demonstrated aptitude to perform experimental protocols and procedures, including detailed data collection, and analysis, and operation and maintenance of specialized equipment.
- Knowledge of safety standards and maintenance of specialized equipment.
- Working Title: Postdoctoral Scientist - Computational - Knott Lab
- Department: BMS - Bioinfo & Func Genomics
- Business Entity: Academic / Research
- City: Los Angeles
- Job Category: Academic/Research
- Job Specialty: Postdoctoral
- Position Type: Full-time
- Shift Length: 8 hour shift
- Shift Type: Day
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at Applicant_Accommodation@cshs.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu). For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through March each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment.Apply NowApply Later