- Information Technology
- Medical Network
Postdoctoral Scientist - Bhowmick Lab - Cancer InstituteRequisition # HRC0372675 Apply Now
Cancer Research Breakthroughs Begin with Employees Just Like You
Join Cedars-Sinai and become part of a team that is at the forefront of medical advancements. Work alongside physician-scientists and researchers who are making life-saving medical and scientific breakthroughs. Our researchers develop some of the most advanced clinical trials in the world. Here, you will be a part of leading-edge cancer research history that improves our cancer patients' treatment options, one trial at a time.
The Bhowmick Laboratory is looking for a Postdoctoral Scientist to join their lab. The lab studies stromal-epithelial interactions in cancer development, with a focus on prostate cancer. Our overall hypothesis is that the host impacts cancer progression; thus, addressing the host response to cancer can provide effective therapeutic and possibly preventative targets. The laboratory developed an alternative to the familiar "two-hit hypothesis" of at least two independent somatic mutations in a cell mediating its malignant progression, whereby a genomic mutation in the epithelia can be associated with epigenetic changes in the adjacent fibroblastic cells.
To learn more about the Bhowmick Lab, please visit: https://www.cedars-sinai.org/research/labs/bhowmick.html
The Postdoctoral Scientist will perform routine and complex laboratory procedures throughout training period in the field of cancer biology. May develop, adapt, and implement new research techniques and protocols. Analyzes and interprets data. May assist in preparation of grant proposals. Responsible for designing experiments, assembling data for publications and presentations as author or co-author. Not responsible for generating grant funds.
The Postdoctoral Scientist will also be responsible for the following duties:
- Expected to submit for own fellowship funding but is not responsible for generating grant funds.
- Responsible for the designer of experiments in cooperation with the mentor.
- Responsible for compiling figures and text for the submission of publications and presentations as author or co-author.
- Designs and performs experiments. Will keep appropriate experimental records and documentation and analyze the results with the mentor.
- May develop, adapt, and implement new research techniques and protocols.
- Performs routine and complex laboratory procedures throughout training period.
- Operates and maintains equipment and instruments.
- Doctorate (MD, PhD, VMD, or DDS) in area directly related to field of research specialization.
- Works independently on research projects designed by a mentor (typically the PI) in the field of cancer biology.
- Acquires thorough technical and theoretical knowledge of research project and objectives during one to three (1-3) year post-doctoral appointment.
- Experience as a first author in one or more publications on impactful body of work.
- Experience working with mice.
- Demonstrated aptitude to perform experimental protocols and procedures, including detailed data collection, and analysis and operation and maintenance of specialized equipment.
- Knowledge of safety standards and maintenance of specialized equipment.
- Ability to function in a team environment and use interpersonal skills to communicate effectively.
- Working Title: Postdoctoral Scientist - Bhowmick Lab - Cancer Institute
- Department: Home Dept - Hem - Onc
- Business Entity: Academic / Research
- City: Los Angeles
- Job Category: Academic/Research
- Job Specialty: Postdoctoral
- Position Type: Full-time
- Shift Length: 8 hour shift
- Shift Type: Day
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at Applicant_Accommodation@cshs.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu). For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through March each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment.
About Our Location
Los Angeles, CaliforniaView Map