Postdoctoral Researcher - Smidt Heart Institute -Dr. Justyna Fert-Bober LabRequisition # 20001591 Apply Now
Our group is focused on high throughput quantitative proteomics and disease-induced biomarkers studies at newly-founded Advanced Clinical BioSystems Research Institute (ACBRI) at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center Smidt Heart Institute. We perform experiments in cutting edge mass spectrometry applications in discoveries and validations focusing on cardiovascular disease. Our projects are on the development of and application of targeted protein quantification techniques for studying specific cellular pathways at the molecular level and for verification of protein candidate biomarkers for diagnosis, prognosis, and therapeutics from cells, tissues, and biofluids for heart diseases.
Our new Postdoctoral Scientist will work independently but in close cooperation and in consultation with Dr. Justyna Fert-Bober and her research staff in order to will develop, adapt, and implement new research techniques and protocols in support of ongoing projects pertaining to mass-spectrometry-based proteomics of cardiovascular diseases. You will work on protein post-translational modification, citrullination and other Arginine modifications, to understand its role in heart disease. This will include interventions to manipulate enzymes involved in citrullination and the structure and functional regulation of these enzymes. You will be expected to work with the support of our in-house bioinformatics staff to analyze and interpret data. Will participate in publications and presentations as author or co-author and will be expected to develop grant proposals either independently or by working collaboratively with department directors or other faculties. Will design and perform experiments and develop, adapt, and implement new research techniques and perform routine and complex laboratory procedures.
Other duties include participation in research/academic meetings, performing calculations, tabulating data, summarizing methods and results of related experiments, etc. Will be expected to function efficiently and cooperatively with a team of faculty, research associates, technicians and students.
Essential job duties and responsibilities:
- Experimental design and execution for data generation in support of scientific publications, and secondarily in support of grant proposals. Will keep appropriate experimental records and documentation and analyze the results with the Principal Investigator.
- The postdoctoral candidate is not immediately responsible for generating grant funds, but it is expected that he/she prepare and submit applications for merit-based scientific postdoctoral fellowship awards.
- Participate in publications and presentations as author or co-author.
- May develop, adapt, and implement new research techniques and protocols.
- May carry out high throughput cell assay coupled to mass spectrometry and or structural analysis of key regulatory proteins involved in protein post-translational modifications.
- Participates in implementing collaborations with other academic groups, and performs data analysis, interpretation, summarization and compilation.
- Operates and maintains equipment and instruments.
- PhD or MD from an accredited institution
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and other Windows-based software.
- Prior experience in research preferred.
- Ability to work effectively independently.
- Experience in laboratory research and federal grant proposal development and grant submission in area of basic research.
- Good communication (in English) and interpersonal skills.
- Working Title: Postdoctoral Researcher - Smidt Heart Institute -Dr. Justyna Fert-Bober Lab
- Department: Heart Institute Operations
- Business Entity: Academic / Research
- City: Los Angeles
- Job Category: Academic / Research
- Job Specialty: Postdoctoral
- Position Type: Full-time
- Shift Length: 8 hour shift
- Shift Type: Day
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at Applicant_Accommodation@cshs.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu). For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through March each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment.
About Our Location
Los Angeles, CaliforniaView Map