- Information Technology
- Medical Network
Physician Assistant Per Diem - Cardiac SurgeryRequisition # 20003508 Apply Now
The Smidt Heart Institute is home to a distinguished team of experts who are setting the bar for cardiovascular care in the United States. The Institute unites 16 centers and programs to diagnose and treat the full spectrum of heart and vascular conditions for all patients, from infants to those with advanced disease. Compassionate care is integrated with an agile research enterprise, giving patients access to pioneering treatments. Led by Eduardo Marbán, MD, PhD, our faculty and attending physicians provide deep expertise across all specialties, including transplantation, stem cell therapy, congenital heart disease, women’s heart health, valve disorders, arrhythmia and hypertension.
Summary of Essential Job Duties:
- Under the supervision of a Medical/Surgical physician and within the physician assistant’s competence, the per diem physician assistant provides medical services to adult and cardiac surgical patients.
- In the operating room, he/she acts as the first or second assistant, open and endoscopically harvesting veins or arteries for CABG procedures, transplant surgeries, opening and closing the chest, cannulation, decannulation, etc.
- The per-diem PA is responsible for the planning and coordination of all aspects of the work up and care of the patients in the unit including management of MCS patients.
- Obtain and perform history and physical examinations
- Record and interpret pertinent data (i.e., labs, diagnostic studies, discharge summaries, progress notes, etc.), including writing orders and discharges under the supervision of a licensed physician.
- Evaluate, diagnose and treat patients under the supervision of a licensed physician
- Write a daily progress note on inpatients, collate inpatient records and perform discharge summaries, utilizing the electronic medical record.
- Participate in daily interdisciplinary rounds
- Coordinate ongoing overall patient care with physician staff, nursing staff and other ancillary care providers to ensure treatment plans are implemented.
- Assist or perform bedside procedures within the scope of service.
- Maintain communication with patients and families regarding care
- Demonstrates skills and knowledge necessary to provide care appropriate to adult and geriatric patients, including knowledge of growth and development, the ability to obtain and interpret information to identify patient needs, and provide the care needed
- Perform assigned work safely, adhering to established departmental safety rules and practices
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Participation in Quality activities, including Unit Practice Committees.
- The per diem PA will be working with a large group of PAs/NPs in the team and will be responsible to provide comprehensive services in the stepdown unit, operating room, outpatient clinic, and consultative service.
- Graduate from a PA program approved by Committee on Allied Health Education and Accreditation
- Valid California PA license
- PA certification issued by national Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants
- DEA License or eligible to obtain
- Current BLS/ACLS certification from American Heart Association or American Red Cross
- Experience in endoscopic vein and artery harvest is a must
- Acute care hospital experience is a must
- Minimum of one year experience in CT surgery
- Must have strong intraoperative skills
- Radial Harvesting preferred
- Working Title: Physician Assistant Per Diem - Cardiac Surgery
- Department: Cardiovascular Surg M/S
- Business Entity: Service Lines & Ops
- City: Los Angeles
- Job Category: Clinical Operations
- Job Specialty: Advanced Practice (PA)
- Position Type: Per Diem
- Shift Length: 12 hour shift
- Shift Type: Day
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at Applicant_Accommodation@cshs.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu). For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through March each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment.
About Our Location
Los Angeles, CaliforniaView Map