Make a difference every single day!
When the work you do every single day has a crucial impact on the lives of others, every effort, every detail, and every second matters. This shared culture of happiness, passion and dedication pulses through Cedars-Sinai, and it’s just one of the many reasons we’ve achieved our fifth consecutive Magnet designation for nursing excellence. From working with a team of dedicated healthcare professionals to using innovative facilities, you’ll have everything needed to do something incredible—for yourself, and for others. Join us, and discover why U.S. News & World Report has named us one of America’s Best Hospitals.
The Smidt Heart Institute is home to a distinguished team of experts who are setting the bar for cardiovascular treatment in the United States. The Institute unites 16 centers and programs to diagnose and treat the full spectrum of heart and vascular conditions for all patients, from infants to those with advanced disease. Compassionate care is integrated with an agile research enterprise, giving patients access to pioneering treatments.
Under the supervision of Cardiac Surgeons, the PA provides services to cardiac surgical patients. In the operating room, acts as the first or second assistant, endoscopically harvesting veins or arteries for CABG procedures, transplant surgeries, opening and closing the chest, cannulation, decannulation, etc.
- Responsible for the planning and coordination of all aspects of the work up and care of the patients in the unit including management of MCS and Heart Transplant patients.
- Obtain and perform history and physical examinations
- Record and interpret pertinent data (i.e., labs, diagnostic studies, discharge summaries, progress notes, etc.), including writing orders and discharges.
- Evaluate, treat and diagnose patients under the supervision of a licensed physician
- Write a daily progress note on inpatients, collate inpatient records and perform discharge summaries, using the electronic medical record.
- Participate in daily interdisciplinary rounds
- Coordinate ongoing overall patient care with physician staff, nursing staff and other ancillary care providers to ensure treatment plans are implemented.
- Assist or perform bedside procedures within the scope of service.
- Maintain communication with patients and families regarding care
The PA will be working with a large PA/NPs in the team, and will be responsible to deliver comprehensive services primarily in the step down unit, operating room, and consultative service, and occasionally in the outpatient clinic.
This position does require incumbent to work rotating night shifts (inhouse) and weekends (inhouse)
- Graduate from a PA program approved by Committee on Allied Health Education and Accreditation required
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Valid California PA license required
- PA certification issued by NCCPA required
- DEA License required
- Current ACLS certification required
- Experience in endoscopic vein and/or artery harvest required. Radial Harvesting preferred
- Minimum of 1 year experience as a physician assistant
- Minimum of 1 year of experience with cardiac transplant medicine preferred
- Strong intra-operative skills
Working Title: Physician Assistant - Cardiothoracic Surgery
Department: Cardiovascular Surg M/S
Business Entity: Service Lines & Ops
Job Category: Clinical Operations
Job Specialty: Advanced Practice (PA)
Position Type: Full-time
Shift Length: 12 hour shift
Shift Type: Day
Base Pay: $139,000.00 - $222,300.00
Our compensation philosophy
We offer competitive total compensation that includes pay, benefits, and other recognition programs for our employees. The base pay range shown above takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including knowledge/skills; relevant experience and training; education/certifications/licensure; and other business and organizational factors. This base pay range does not include our comprehensive benefits package and any incentive payments that may be applicable to this role
Diversity and Inclusion at Cedars-Sinai
We are caretakers and innovators committed to the pursuit of equitable healthcare. But health equity is not possible without representation. Our commitment to diversity goes beyond demographics or checking boxes. Our people must reflect the diverse identities, experiences and geographies of the communities and patients we serve – because that’s what our patients, colleagues and communities deserve. Quality Care and Research—For All, By All.
Cedars-Sinai is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at Applicant_Accommodation@cshs.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu) and COVID-19. For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through April each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment, subject to medical exemption or religious accommodation. For the same reason, you may also be required to receive other vaccines such as COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Cedars-Sinai reserves the right to make modifications to its required list of vaccines as required by law and/or policy.