Nutrition Care Representative (Diet Clerk) - Patient Food Services - Per DiemRequisition # 20001413 Apply Now
Grow your career at Cedars-Sinai!
When the work you do every single day has a crucial impact on the lives of others, every effort, every detail, and every second matters. This shared culture of passion and dedication pulses through Cedars-Sinai, and it’s just one of the many reasons we’ve achieved our fifth-consecutive Magnet designation for nursing perfection. From working with a team of best-in-class healthcare professionals to using state-of-the-art facilities, you’ll have everything you need to do something incredible—for yourself, and for others. Join us, and discover why U.S. News & World Report has named us one of America’s Best Hospitals!
What will you be doing in this role?
Under the direction of the Associate Director, the Nutrition Care Representative (NCR) act as an ambassador and facilitator of patient food services on the patient care unit. Responsibilities include processing, validating, and interpreting physician diet prescriptions as conveyed by nursing personnel, collection and correction of patient menu selections in conformance with the physician's diet order, addressing and following up on concerns and issues related to patient satisfaction, and handling routine clerical, data entry, and nutrition care responsibilities on the unit. Collaborates with leadership staff to improve the quality of service and nutrition care service provided to patients.
Primary Duties Include:
- Review and modify patient menus by adding, deleting or substituting food items in accordance with physician’s and dietitian’s orders and restrictions.
- Seek and apply knowledge of food and human nutrition with scope of assigned responsibilities when modifying the menu and/or responding to patients stated preferences/intolerance. Appropriately seek guidance and support from a Registered Dietetic Technician where complexity of the diet exceeds knowledge base.
- Obtain menu selections at the patient’s bedside or over the phone assuring compliance to the physician’s diet order and departmental guidelines for menu correction. Explain menu modifications/substitutions to patients, such as sodium restriction.
- Act as ambassador and facilitator of food services on the patient care unit by contributing to the coordination of menus, services, and information used by food service staff, dietitians, and diet technicians in the care of patients.
- Perform routine clerical and nutrition care functions on the unit to include collection and data entry of patient menu selections and food preferences/intolerances, processing and validation of diet orders, and maintenance of the menu materials in the units.
- Orient patient to the menu system and services offered by the department.
- Seek feedback on patient satisfaction by asking visitation questions, resolving concerns promptly, and communicating issues of concern to the leadership for action as appropriate.
- Provide input and patient feedback on acceptance of menu items to assist in development of menus and/or new food items.
- Participate in improving service delivery and organizational performance programs of the department and medical center to improve patient satisfaction.
- High School Diploma/GED required
- Associate Degree/College Diploma in Nutrition preferred
- Bachelor's Degree in Nutrition preferred
- One (1) year of experience as a Diet Clerk/Aide role with 1 year of customer service in an acute care hospital preferred.
- Knowledge in Therapeutic Diets
- Knowledge of Windows or comparable system (specifically including keyboarding and mouse skills. As applicable to individual job duties and expectations, employees must also possess a working knowledge of word processing, spreadsheets, presentation development, email, browsers, and on-line reporting. Familiarity with iPad and navigating through various apps and ability to utilize the keyboard.
- Must be able to perform basic calculations.
- Must be able to communicate in English, verbally and in writing with staff, customers, and patients over the telephone or in person. Must be able to speak clearly and enunciate over the telephone. Must have good listening skills.
- Organizational ability to include coordination of multiple projects within established time frames, problem analysis and resolution, and excellent interpersonal skills, Must be customer oriented.
- Demonstrates the knowledge, skills and ability to provide care/services based on specific population. Demonstrates, modifies, and adapts work behavior in meeting the specific population needs
- Working Title: Nutrition Care Representative (Diet Clerk) - Patient Food Services - Per Diem
- Department: Pat Food Svc Stnd
- Business Entity: Clinical & Support Services
- City: Los Angeles
- Job Category: Patient Services
- Job Specialty: Food Services
- Position Type: Per Diem
- Shift Length: 8 hour shift
- Shift Type: Day
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at Applicant_Accommodation@cshs.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu). For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through March each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment.
About Our Location
Los Angeles, CaliforniaView Map