Make a difference every single day!
At Cedars-Sinai, we're motivated by a collective spirit of innovation and the challenge to continuously improve. Above all, we share a real passion for helping others. Day after day, from department to department, our people give their all to create a community unlike any other. This is just one of the many reasons U.S. News & World Report has named us one of America’s Best Hospitals—and now we invite you to join us and make a difference every single day in service of this outstanding work – perfection and innovation in patient care, research, and community service. From working with a team of dedicated professionals to using state-of-the-art facilities, you’ll have phenomenal resources to do something incredible—for yourself, and for others.
What will you be doing in this role?
Under general supervision of a licensed care giver, the Nursing Communications Technician (NCT) will coordinate the administrative functions for the inpatient nursing department, or major unit. The NCT works in collaboration with other departments to maintain adequate supplies and tracks status of equipment repairs. The NCT demonstrates effective communication and customer service skills with patients, family members, physicians, and other medical center departments in compliance with the medical center's customer service goals. The NCT will be responsible for welcoming, orienting and nurturing new staff and to be a resource, especially to new RNs and staff floating from other departments. The NCT performs a range of administrative activities or tasks specific to the unit needs. The NCT acts as a receptionist for the unit, answering and relaying patient calls, accepting and relaying other communications.
In this role you will:
- Greets all visitors and assumes responsibility for responding to customer requests. Respond to simple patient requests upon checking with the RN like passing water, situating the call light or ensuring that the phone is within reach, assist with getting blankets, and other similar activities.
- Performs all clerical/administrative functions vital to process and maintain medical records. Responsible for assisting with inventory control of operational and unit specific forms, medical record forms, and office supplies.
- Maintains logs of equipment and repairs. Liaisons with Hospitality and EIS, to ensure necessary repairs are scheduled, accomplish tasks in a timely manner, as well as managing inventory of Voalte phones, chargers and iPads.
- Enters patient information into patient call light system and assigns locators and pagers, and routes requests to staff.
- Ensure that all patient calls and call lights are answered in a timely manner, triage calls or patient requests to the appropriate person, or escalate to the charge nurse, if vital.
- Respond to bed alarms and bathroom calls rapidly and follow up with staff for an immediate response to patient safety Reviews CS Link and performs ADT tasks.
- Communicate patient requests in a timely manner and RN/CP to r educes the risk of patient harm resulting from falls.
- Provides orientation to all float and new staff as appropriate.
- Attends all required CSMC education sessions.
- Update the assignment board accordingly. Ensure that the nurses’, physicians’ and clinical partners’ names and phone numbers are accurately updated, along with any other department contacts that are relevant.
- Actively rounding to educate patients on various resources and technology, like Alexa.
- Maintain a clean and organized workstation at all times.
- Maintain patient confidentiality at all times.
- Manage the tube system. Sending tubes with the exception of medication.
- Round on all patient and complete the rounding log. Prioritize fall risk patients.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- High School Diploma/GED (college degree preferred).
- Two (2) years experience in a medical setting. Or successful completion of an approved course in hospital clerical responsibilities.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Strong customer service skills required to connect with patients, departmental internal/external clients, staff, and physicians.
- Must possess the ability to effectively coordinate multiple projects.
- Strong time leadership skills.
- Working Title: Nursing Communications Tech - 5N Coronary Observation - Full Time - 12hr Days
- Department: Coron Observ 5Ne
- Business Entity: Nursing
- City: Los Angeles
- Job Category: Administrative
- Job Specialty: Administrative
- Position Type: Full-time
- Shift Length: 12 hour shift
- Shift Type: Day
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at Applicant_Accommodation@cshs.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu) and COVID-19. For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through April each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment, subject to medical exemption or religious accommodation. For the same reason, you may also be required to receive other vaccines such as COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Cedars-Sinai reserves the right to make modifications to its required list of vaccines as required by law and/or policy.Apply NowApply Later