Align yourself with an organization that has a reputation for excellence! Cedars-Sinai was awarded the National Research Corporation’s Consumer Choice Award 19 years in a row for providing the highest-quality medical care in Los Angeles. We were also awarded the Advisory Board Company’s Workplace of the Year. This recognizes hospitals and health systems nationwide that have outstanding levels of employee engagement. Join us! Discover why U.S. News & World Report has named us one of America’s Best Hospitals.
What you be doing in this role:
Under general supervision and following established practices, policies, and guidelines, provides patient relations support to Patient Financial Services, performing duties which include identifying, analyzing, resolving and responding to customer inquiries, concerns and issues, and following up on accounts to ensure payment and resolution. Positions at this level require advanced knowledge in specialized functions and a full understanding of the revenue cycle. Incumbents must work independently and have strong customer service skills and are able to work well with patients, deescalate issues quickly, able to talk, think and access the system to achieve maximum customer satisfaction. This position requires strong analytic and problem-solving skills and the ability to understand, interpret and explain payor contracts and CSMC billing and collections policy and practices. This position may be cross-trained in other revenue cycle functions and provide back-up coverage. The Financial Care Specialist I:
- Applies detailed knowledge of and complies with all hospital and department policies, procedures (e.g., PHI, PFS employee handbook).
- Demonstrates detailed knowledge of Cedars-Sinai’s core patient accounting systems and/or department specific systems and utilizes them effectively and efficiently.
- Effectively monitors assigned work queues and workload, ensuring resolve of accounts in a timely and accurate manner. Takes initiative on issues and/or problems by escalating them to supervisor.
- Adheres to documentation standards of the department. Properly uses activity codes. Notes are clear and concise. Correctly enters data in fields. Maintains acceptable levels of speed and accuracy.
- Completes all necessary research and account follow-up activities to resolve inquiries and/or customer complaints. Ensures that the resolution completed meets the patient’s needs.
- Responds to patient, insurance company and other authorized third-party inquiries, including return of calls and research needed to bring account to final resolution.
- Negotiates and documents payment plans within established policies.
- Achieves timely and correct account collection for hospital services. Responsible for initiating collection calls to patients and insurance companies to collect on unresolved accounts. Maintains A/R per department protocol. Reviews accounts on continuing basis and refers uncollectible accounts to collection agency or attorney on a timely basis. Ensures account is routed to appropriate work queue for approval.
High School Diploma or GED required. Associates Degree or College Diploma with college level courses in finance, business or health insurance preferred.
A minimum of 1 year of Hospital billing and/or Collection experience with customer service and call center experience required.
Why Work Here?
Beyond outstanding employee benefits including health and dental insurance, vacation, and a 403(b) we take pride in hiring the best, most passionate employees. Our accomplished staff reflects the culturally and ethnically diverse community we serve. They are proof of our commitment to creating a dynamic, inclusive environment that fuels innovation.
- Working Title: Financial Care Specialist I
- Department: Anesthesia Pain Ctr-Procedures
- Business Entity: Service Lines & Ops
- City: Los Angeles
- Job Category: Patient Financial Services
- Job Specialty: Patient Billing
- Position Type: Full-time
- Shift Length: 8 hour shift
- Shift Type: Day
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at Applicant_Accommodation@cshs.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu). For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through March each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment.Apply NowApply Later