- Search Jobs
Choose Your Area Of Interest
Communications & Media Relations SpecialistRequisition # 18002149 Apply Now
Build your career at Cedars-Sinai
Our dynamic and collaborative Media department is looking for a Communications Specialist to join their team on a full time basis.
This is a full-time staff position reporting to the Executive Director of Communications. In this media relations role, the Communications Specialist develops and implements strategic plans to promote Cedars-Sinai’s programs, patients and experts. This individual successfully identifies, pitches and places newsworthy stories about Cedars-Sinai in major local and national media. The individual responds to media inquiries in a timely and appropriate manner, writes and distributes news releases, and develops and manages strong ongoing relationships with reporters, producers, bloggers and other communicators. The Communications Specialist collaborates regularly with programs and departments across Cedars-Sinai to execute communications projects, and works closely with leaders in clinical, administrative, business and research areas to develop content for internal employee publications, videos, social media, the web and other channels. As such, the work requires excellent writing and organizational skills, and an ability to juggle multiple projects simultaneously. This individual must be able to serve as a trusted media relations and communications adviser to physicians, organizational leaders and others, and to maintain respectful, professional conduct when interacting with patients, staff and the media, complying with all Protected Health Information policies and procedures. This individual represents the organization as a spokesperson when needed and must be available for on-call duties to provide media and crisis support during emergency situations.
- 5+ years of prior experienced related to communications, public relations, media relations or crisis communications. Have a combination? That is a plus!
Bachelors Degree in communications or related field (Masters Degree preferred)
- You will develop and implement strategic media plans to promote the organization
- You will support the specific service lines of Orthopedic, Surgery, Emergency and Transplant departments as well as the Spine Center.
- You will work closely with leaders in these areas to identify newsworthy features for multiple communication channels including media, internal publications and the Cedars-Sinai blog
- Foster and maintain media relations
- Execute department projects for both internal and external needs. This includes providing writing, editing assistance to the communications department and developing content as needed for videos, social media, web and other channels.
- Respond to media inquiries in a timely and appropriate manner
- Write & distribute news releases and stories
- Be an expert in national and local media
- Support the organization during emergency situations and represent the organization as a spokesperson
- Collaborate regularly with other departments including brand strategy, creative services, digital strategy, marketing and with other Cedars-Sinai programs
What else are we looking for?
- Flexibility and team work values
- Media relations experience
- Exceptional writing and editing skills as proven by clips or other pieces of writing
- Excellent organization skills, including knowledge of online databases
- Attention to detail and ability to manage multiple ongoing projects and timelines
- You are comfortable working collaboratively with peers and colleagues at all organization levels
- Proven track record of client service, including the ability to listen carefully to clients to identify their goals and then execute on plans to meet those goals
- Experience in healthcare or nonprofit institution
We know that you have options as to where you choose to work, and we strive to provide our employees with the best possible work environment. One of our goals as an organization is to develop a well-trained and highly motivated workforce. We want to help you achieve your greatest potential by enabling you to progress within your job and advance your career.
- Working Title: Communications & Media Relations Specialist
- Department: Pub Rel
- Business Entity: Corporate Services
- City: Los Angeles
- Job Category: Marketing / Communications
- Job Specialty: Communications
- Position Type: Full-time
- Shift Length: 8 hour shift
- Days: 0863006-PUB REL
- Shift Type: Day
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at Applicant_Accommodation@cshs.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu). For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through March each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment.
About Our Location
Los Angeles, CaliforniaView Map