Certified Phlebotomist - Smidt Heart Institute - Cheng Lab
Los Angeles, California
Cedars-Sinai is a hub for biomedical research and a training center for future physicians and other healthcare professionals. By joining us in an academic role, you’ll be a part of formulating future ideas for discovery and then translating those discoveries into cures for the benefit and health of the Los Angeles community.
- Full-time & Per-Diem
- Level: Mid to Senior
- Travel: Minimal (if any)
- Glassdoor Reviews and Company Rating
What makes a successful Certified Phlebotomist - Smidt Heart Institute - Cheng Lab at Cedars-Sinai? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
Discovery is central to Cedars-Sinai’s mission. Our laboratories and clinics generate ideas, therapies, devices, and systems that contribute to biomedical progress around the world. Cedars-Sinai’s investigators push the frontiers of biomedicine with studies in cardiac care, cancer, digestive health, the neurosciences, women’s health, and more. Cedars-Sinai’s robust academic enterprise shapes the experts who will help redefine medicine for the next generation.
ResponsibilitiesRequisition # HRC0699471
Under the general supervision of the manager, our Certified Phlebotomist will perform blood collection procedures, including venipuncture, skin puncture and special collection procedures. Your responsibilities include collecting, receiving and distributing laboratory specimens and logging specimen collection information. Will perform all job duties with sensitivity and attention to the age and developmental issues of the patient population(s) being served.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs a wide range of phlebotomy procedures including venipuncture, capillary puncture, and special collection procedures; uses proper technique in accordance with SOPs.
- Maintains phlebotomy tray in a sanitary and properly supplied condition.
- Logs specimen collection information.
- Collects, transports, labels and distributes patient specimens.
- Attends to routine operational and support functions such as stocking supplies, disposing of specimens or maintaining and storing records.
- Verifies specimen identification, assesses appropriateness of test orders and quality of specimen by recognizing factors that affect procedures and results; takes appropriate action when corrections are indicated.
- Identifies patients and patient samples by strict adherence to established procedures and use of two patient identifiers; labels samples accurately and completely.
- Maintains appropriate phlebotomy documentation and records.
- Up to 100% of the job involves phlebotomy procedures, including venipuncture, capillary puncture, and special collection procedures using proper technique in accordance with SOPs.
- Maintains appropriate documentation on collection list and requisitions.
- Certified Phlebotomists may work on a more flexible schedule if needed.
- High School Diploma/GED is required
- Phlebotomy Certificate that meets the mandates of the laws and regulations of the State of California is required
- One (1) year of experience as a phlebotomist in a hospital setting, including familiarity with laboratory information systems.
- Physical demands of this role: ability to perform moderate lifting, sitting, standing and walking for prolonged periods of time.
- Working Title: Certified Phlebotomist - Smidt Heart Institute - Cheng Lab
- Department: Heart Institute Operations
- Business Entity: Academic / Research
- City: Los Angeles
- Job Category: Academic/Research
- Job Specialty: Research Studies/Clinical Trials
- Position Type: Full-time
- Shift Length: 8 hour shift
- Shift Type: Day
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at Applicant_Accommodation@cshs.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu) and COVID-19. For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through April each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment, subject to medical exemption or religious accommodation. For the same reason, you may also be required to receive other vaccines such as COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Cedars-Sinai reserves the right to make modifications to its required list of vaccines as required by law and/or policy.Apply Now Apply Later
Hear From Our People
“I truly love what I do and I love being an employee and steward of Cedars-Sinai. I am here because Cedars-Sinai’s mission and goals align with my own personal values as an RN. I appreciate and value that all of the leadership (especially Sr. leadership) values each and every employee, that it is the frontline staff that truly makes the difference and how our patients are cared for on a day to day basis.”– Kimako D., since 2016
“I am a proud member of the Cedars-Sinai team…Cedars holds their employees in the highest regard offering bonus’, continuing education reimbursement, and much more to promote career advancement. I have been an employee for 10+ years and I love it!”– Kathryn G., since 2007
“I have been an oncology nurse for over 30 years. Cedars-Sinai offers the most up-to-date therapies available, so I get to learn every day.”– Ann S., since 2014
“One reason I enjoy being nurse leader at Cedars-Sinai is because there is support to reach your full potential and working at the top of your scope is encouraged. It is a great place to be innovative and to inspire!”– Courtnay C., since 2015
Discover all the ways Cedars-Sinai appreciates your efforts.