Pharmacy Technician - Prior Authorization and MedicationRequisition # 20001370 Apply Now
Cedars-Sinai Medical Center is an 886-bed acute, level 1 tertiary care teaching hospital located in the heart of Los Angeles, just a block away from Beverly Hills. The Pharmacy Department has over 380 staff members who provide comprehensive inpatient pharmacy services as well as outpatient services via 2 cancer centers and 4 outpatient pharmacies pharmacy services. The Department has accredited residencies in pharmacy practice and health-system pharmacy management and is affiliated with schools of pharmacy in California.
The Pharmacy Technician Prior Authorization and Medication Assistance Technician will work collaboratively with the Pharmacy Specialists responsible for this function to support accurate prior authorization and assistance with obtaining medications when needed for patients where insurance coverage cannot be obtained.
Other responsibilities of the Medication Assistance Technician include:
Supporting prior authorization by reviewing CS-link and comparing with payer-requirements for specific medications
Supporting clinics with prior authorization questions
Collaborating with physicians, nurses, admissions and contracting
Coordination and communication with patients related high cost drug questions as they arise
Working with patients and Patients Assistance Programs to support high cost medications therapies
The employee performs job duties with sensitivity to the patient’s diverse cultural backgrounds. The employee maintains competency skills to differentiate the dose ranges and dosage forms with consideration to the age of the population served, if applicable.
High school Diploma or Equivalent Required
• Registered as a Pharmacy Technician with the California State Board of Pharmacy
• Ability to speak, read and write the English language.
• Individuals must be able to do calculations involving ratios, proportions and percentages.
• Subject to background and reference check.
• Post Hiring:
1. Required to attend and pass all of the pharmacy technician training classes with a minimum score of 90% on the exam.
2. In the event of a score of less than 90% on any part of the exam, a trainee will be allowed to repeat a test section one time only. Failure to pass with 90% or better on a repeat test will result in termination or transfer back to the previous position of another department.
3. Acceptable completion of the on-the-job training program as evidenced by work samples and/or practical examinations.
• Distinguishing Characteristics
1. Technicians must have an adequate background in Pharmacy or Pharmacy Training, as well as show a deep sense of honesty, integrity, reliability and good hygiene. Pharmacy background is necessary for the technician to be able to interpret physicians' orders for pharmacy items and to calculate dosages, volumes, weights, etc. for extemporaneous compounding.
2. Technicians must exhibit accuracy and punctuality in all facets of their work.
• Job Requirements
1. Equipment. The technician must be able to use the following equipment: calculator, computer printer, PC, medication carts, automated dispensing machines etc. Proficiency in the operation of specialized equipment is necessary for assignment to specialized areas, i.e. OR/ER, Sterile Manufacturing, ACP, Storeroom, etc.
2. Schedule/Hours: The technician must be able to rotate shifts, alternate weekends, and rotate throughout any areas requiring pharmacy technician.
• Skills and Special Knowledge
1. Drug names (trade and generic)
3. Latin and chemical abbreviations
4. Aseptic technique
5. Regulations pertaining to the dispensing of medications
6. How to determine storage conditions for pharmaceuticals
7. How to determine a drug’s formulary status
8. Computer functions
a. Use of keyboard
b. Operation of printer including loading paper
c. Selection of appropriate functions in assigned work area, eg; running fill lists and IVPB lists, TCE reports.
• Exceeds rating on most recent performance appraisal
• Excellent interpersonal and team skills
• Knowledge of excel and ability to analyze data
• Excellent attendance
Physical Requirements (physical abilities essential to perform the job):
1. Frequent standing; walking, bending; reaching, occasional sitting, pushing & pulling, lifting of materials up to 40 pounds for distances to 10 feet.
2. Responsiveness to auditory alarms and communication devices including: telephones, beepers, fire alarms, and mechanical failure alarms.
3. Sufficient mobility to access equipment, patients and other customers.
4. Able to read information on medication labels
Work Environment (work environments, hazards and exposures that may be encountered on the job):
1. Exposure to minimal but constant noise levels.
2. Repetitive hand motions.
3. Some functions may include incidental exposure to hazards associated with preparation of cytotoxic medications.
4. Some functions may require use of protective gear such as gloves and fluid-resistant coats.
- Working Title: Pharmacy Technician - Prior Authorization and Medication
- Department: THO-Pharmacy
- Business Entity: Clinical & Support Services
- City: Beverly Hills
- Job Category: Pharmacy
- Job Specialty: Pharmacy
- Position Type: Full-time
- Shift Length: 8 hour shift
- Shift Type: Day
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at Applicant_Accommodation@cshs.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu). For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through March each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment.
About Our Location
Beverly Hills, CaliforniaView Map