Director, Clinical EngineeringRequisition # 20001264 Apply Now
The Enterprise Information Services (EIS) team at Cedars-Sinai understands that true clinical transformation and the optimization of healthcare technology systems are fueled through the alignment of the right people, processes and technologies. The Director of Clinical Engineering will function as primary leader responsible for clinical engineering and Healthcare Technology Management (HTM).
Cedars-Sinai implements cutting edge healthcare technologies. He or she will direct the activities of the Clinical Engineering Department in the planning, acquisition, implementation, and management of all medical equipment and related services. He or she will ensure all program elements are designed and implemented to comply with Joint Commission and other regulatory and inspection agency requirements, guidelines, and standards. The Director will develop annual goals and objectives related to these responsibilities in response to present and future needs and will develop and manage an annual operating budget for the Clinical Engineering. He or she will interface extensively with other department heads as required and will coordinate with other EIS groups. In addition to establishing a sustainable department, the Director will lead several projects already in the works.
• Develops and maintains effective relationships and communications with executives, department heads and other key customers in departmental supported areas
• Optimize annual capital purchasing power by identifying opportunities to consolidate cost across sites and fiscal years
o Assess, review and rank all strategic capital requests for biomedical equipment in partnership with operational leaders
o Conduct pre-purchase evaluations, research vendors, assess cost of ownership and other activities in support of acquisitions
• Establishes strategic and tactical input regarding customer support strategies and priorities
• Management and negotiation of service contracts with the business owners and vendors as applicable
• Develop and implement consistent policies and procedures that guide and support the functions of the department
• Provision of resources to manage medical equipment planning for construction projects
• Oversight/management of initial inspection, tagging and acceptance testing of medical device equipment
• Oversight/management and participation in the investigation and reporting of medical device related incidents
• Participation in the device hazard and recall notification program
• Oversight/management of equipment performance and service vendors to maintain the highest standards for patient care. When these are found to be unsatisfactory, the director is responsible for expediting solutions including replacing equipment or terminating service agreements
• Ensuring the ongoing skills, training and /or certification as required for all staff in the use and operation of patient equipment
• Coaches, mentors and leads department staff to continuously improve technical capabilities and develop and implementation processes and build a strong team.
Graduate degree is required in engineering or a closely related technical discipline. Bachelors degree required.
Equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted.
ACCE Certification in Clinical Engineering (CCE) credential (preferred) or eligible.
AAMI Certified Healthcare Technology Manager (CHTM) credential (preferred).
• 8 to 10 years of clinical engineering management experience in a comparable (complex, academic) healthcare organization
• Active in regional and national associations (e.g., AAMI, ACCE). Track record of professional accomplishments, including writing and presenting. Demonstrated skills in team-building and program development, strategic thinking, and knowledge of medical technologies.
Desired Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Knowledge of many different types of patient care equipment such as monitors, infusion pumps, lab equipment, imaging devices etc.
• Knowledge of electronic theory and technology
• Understanding and experience with HL7 and other protocols
• Knowledge of Capsule Technologies’ enterprise device connectivity solutions highly
• Understanding of clinical data flow into an EMR and other systems
• Experience with Epic’s application suite highly desirable
• Understanding of touch screen technologies and how it impacts user interface
• Experience integrating multiple clinical devices including monitors, vents, and pumps
• Fiscal management experience in preparing, monitoring and controlling budgets,
reducing expenses and negotiating agreements
• Knowledge of computer systems and ability to use basic computer software packages
(word processing, spreadsheets, work order tracking, inventory management, and
• Ability to plan, organize, and implement policies and procedures
• Articulate and able to clearly communicate technical principles to non-technical
personnel both verbally and in writing
• Ability to supervise, direct, evaluate, and delegate work and responsibilities to
• Active in regional and national organizations (e.g., AAMI, ACCE).
• Track record of professional accomplishments, including writing and presenting
• Demonstrated team-building and program development skills
• Demonstrated strategic thinking skills
• Demonstrated extensive knowledge of medical technologies
Office environment in a Healthcare setting.
- Working Title: Director, Clinical Engineering
- Department: Biostatistics
- Business Entity: Academic / Research
- City: Los Angeles
- Job Category: Information Technology
- Job Specialty: Biomedical Technology
- Position Type: Full-time
- Shift Length: 8 hour shift
- Shift Type: Day
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at Applicant_Accommodation@cshs.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu). For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through March each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment.
About Our Location
Los Angeles, CaliforniaView Map